Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Lens rental for trip to Nc mountains

Hello all, I am going to be spending thanksgiving weekend in the NC mountains. Cameralensrentals is offering a "special" for that weekend and I was searching for a recommendation for a lens to shoot some landscape shots for this trip. I currently own a F1.4/50 and a kit kens.

11-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
If you strictly want to rent one lens for landscape, I'd recommend two choices:
1) If weight and size is no issue: get the DA 12-24mm
2) Otherwise: get the DA 15mm Ltd

I used to own the DA 12-24mm, an excellent lens for landscape. Now I own the DA 15mm Ltd. I prefer the sharpness of the DA 12-24mm over the DA 15mm, but the 15mm is a lot easier to carry around and thus gets used more.

If you don't think you'll ever go below 21mm or so, the kit lens is actually quite good already, since most of the times you'll likely be shooting at f8 or higher for landscape.

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Hello all, I am going to be spending thanksgiving weekend in the NC mountains. Cameralensrentals is offering a "special" for that weekend and I was searching for a recommendation for a lens to shoot some landscape shots for this trip. I currently own a F1.4/50 and a kit kens.
11-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi- Sorry, don't have any suggestions on lens, but wondering if I could ask how your experiences have been with CameraLensRentals.com ?

I'd love to find a place to try out some lenses on the cheap before plunking down the big cash.
11-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
What kind of landscapes do you like?

A wide lens will tend to give you the wide open look. A longer lens will allow you to focus on detail and compress distances.