Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Purple fringing with 31ltd

I took this shot of the bubble gun (bubbles are fun things to photograph, aren't they?)
and there is some purple fringing. What's more Adobe Camera Raw doesn't seem to recognize it.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Last edited by DanielT74; 06-11-2012 at 03:06 AM.
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's just the colour of the bubbles! Purple fringing shows up in high contrast situations.
11-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look at the highlights - i've just added a crop. It's actually more pronounced on my screen (seems to show cooler on the forum).
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And more so it looks too me that the bubble is just reflecting the redish plastic tip of the bubble gun. The pf is there in highlights but its not that bad, looks fixable with some pp.

11-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

It looks normal to me. FA 31 produces a surprising lot of purple fringing and CA near the maximum aperture (I assume you used a wide aperture based on the depth of field but it would *helpful* to include the exifs next time you ask for such a question).
Suggestion? Stop down a bit.
11-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if its the same thing but my K300 displays purple and green fringing like this but more pronounced on highlights that are just out of the plane of focus. Purple closer and green futher away. There's quite a good example of it in the lens review. The photo of a duck most of the way down.

SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
11-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #7

The FA 31mm when shooting wide open will have PF at high contrast areas. If you don't want PF, you should either stop down the lens to about 2.5, or shooting wide open only when the scene does not have such high contrast areas.

11-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tsangpo Quote
I don't know if its the same thing but my K300 displays purple and green fringing like this but more pronounced on highlights that are just out of the plane of focus. Purple closer and green futher away. There's quite a good example of it in the lens review. The photo of a duck most of the way down.

SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
The "fringing you see on the K300 is lateral CA, where OFF regions are purple on one side and green on the other side of the out of focus detail.

true purple fringing is what appears to be the really bright purple annual ring around completely burned out white detail. The highlights in the bubbles are true PF.

I can produce teh same types of PF with my 8mm fisheye, the only solution I know of is to make these regions below the upper limit of exposure but the dynamic range is not sufficient to then allow for the lower light details at present