Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #1

i need a little help choosing a lens...

hello everyone!
since i bought 2 manual focus lenses (50mm and a 100mm) i want to expand my range into wider fields.

right now im looking at that lens,

Vivitar 24mm f2.8 Auto-aperture MC close-focusing Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

since i think that 24mm would be quite the focal length that would suit me. now the question is, will this lens give better results than the Kx Kit lens at that lenght, or should i just save the money for a 21ltd? (i know everyone will say go for the 21, but im a student and so money is tight..)

or maybe any other suggestions?

thanks in advance!

11-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a 28mm 2.8 as a wide-normal, and I love it for that purpose. The lens itself I have never tried, but the reviews look favorable. The great thing about this lens is that it's approximately the equivalent of a 35mm lens for film, which is a classic photojournalist field of view. It will be great for capturing scenes. Also the aperture is faster than the 21 ltd. Obviously the 21ltd is going to have it's own strengths too, but this lens looks like a great addition to a 50 and a 100!

The nice thing is that autofocus becomes less and less necessary as you go wider (as your DOF increases), so this lens should be easy enough to use compared to the DA 21.

Don't fool yourself, this lens will not give you better results than the DA 21... but this lens should not be very expensive compared to the 500 dollars for the DA 21. My experiences with vintage budget glass is not that it outperforms modern counterparts, but can often give expensive equivalents a run for it's money!
11-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are bdget limited, I think you should stay away from anything shorter than 24mm in a prime, they get really expensive really quickly.

I have picjed up a few 24mm and 28mm lenses (manual focus) very cheap, i.e. between $5 and $30. Just watching the market on wider manual focus primes, nothing 21m or shorter goes for under $200,

You could put together a lot of a manual focus kit, up to and including 200mm for less than that.

but how about another option.

I have an FA-J18-35mm lens that came with my *istD as the kit lens. Before the 18-55 lenses were designed. It is a left over from pentax's film days. I have seen these for less than *100 and they are not that bad a lens.

There are some other 17is to 35is mm zooms in manual focus that also go cheap. this gives you extra width, compared to a 24 at the expense of 1-2 fstops.
11-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy it, if you don't like it you can resell it. I don't think there are any wrong lens choices only less mainstream ones, also check out the A 24 as i seem to recall seeing cheap ones pop up on KEH a few times in the last couple of months.

11-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stlind Quote
hello everyone!
since i bought 2 manual focus lenses (50mm and a 100mm) i want to expand my range into wider fields.

right now im looking at that lens,

Vivitar 24mm f2.8 Auto-aperture MC close-focusing Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

since i think that 24mm would be quite the focal length that would suit me. now the question is, will this lens give better results than the Kx Kit lens at that lenght, or should i just save the money for a 21ltd? (i know everyone will say go for the 21, but im a student and so money is tight..)

or maybe any other suggestions?

thanks in advance!
I'm going to stretch my neck out here and say just about Any prime lens is going to out perform the Kit 18-55.

11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest that you may also consider 28mm f2.8 lenses. Very similar to the 24, but a tad longer and just as fast. The other aspect to consider, is Tokina lenses. Tokina use to build to the Pentax K mount, however the two companies have joined to partner across several lenses 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, etc so Tokina has stopped offering the K mount some years ago. However the legacy lenses are still available, and they have a very similar build to Pentax, glass, all metal, and usually very sharp, excellent build quality.

I see them go through evilbay for about $25 to $30. Also, I see the buy it now prices tend to be higher than the actual auctions.

Also, Tokina was one of the actual manufacturers of the Vivitar line.

11-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm going to stretch my neck out here and say just about Any prime lens is going to out perform the Kit 18-55.

I completely agree with you. The kit is very convenient and a nice place to cut one's teeth, but eventually one must move on. Vintage primes are the easiest way to do that (for us lucky pentaxians).
11-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks a lot, that sure helped me in making my decision. ill give the lens a try, and will let you know how it worked out!