Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good Protective Filter for Tamron 10-24

I want to get a filter (77mm) for the Tamron 10-24 lens I just ordered. I intend to use the lens outdoors and want the peace of mind knowing that the lens is protected by the filter (I'm stating this because I realize many people prefer to shoot without protective filters to obtain the best IQ but I'm not one of them-just my personal preference).
The question I have is which protective filter should I consider? I read that the slimmer types might be better with wide angles. I'd also like to get a polarizing filter.
I'm not a pro so I don't need to have the absolute best - just filters that will do the job at a mid level price.
Thanks

11-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lenstip did a good UV filter test. I personally use both Hoya and lately, Marumi (Super DHG) filters. Don't get a polarizer for that lens - polarizers don't work properly on wide-angle lenses.
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks Nater- I didn't know that about WA lenses & polarizers.
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For a wide angle, be sure to get a slim-frame filter. Although the UV-filtering itself is not really needed with digital sensors a UV filter probably makes most sense for protection as they are reasonably cheap, yet come multicoated. Although the latter might not matter most of the time a protective filter tends to be on when it does. The lenstip test referred to above is great (executive summary: the multicoated Hoya UV(C) is top quality, yet the price is reasonable).

11-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Take a look at the front element and make sure it doesn't bubble out too much. Some filters may not fit on it all together.
11-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Lenstip did a good UV filter test. I personally use both Hoya and lately, Marumi (Super DHG) filters. Don't get a polarizer for that lens - polarizers don't work properly on wide-angle lenses.
That article is off-base because the initial premises are wrong:

It assumes that you're shooting a scene that is 50% sky...

It's ignoring all of the other parts of the scene which are positively impacted by a polarizer (increased contrast)...

And the sample photo shows a scene where the polarizer is totally, improperly rotated for the direction of the sunlight.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. CPs are wonderful things.
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That article is off-base because the initial premises are wrong:

It assumes that you're shooting a scene that is 50% sky...

It's ignoring all of the other parts of the scene which are positively impacted by a polarizer (increased contrast)...

And the sample photo shows a scene where the polarizer is totally, improperly rotated for the direction of the sunlight.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. CPs are wonderful things.
Ira, I don't think that article is wrong, because the advice is sound - an ultra-wide angle lens can have one edge of the frame almost facing the sun while the opposite might be 90 degrees away from the sun, and you won't see the changing influence of your polarizer across a single photo, and could easily have dark bands in the sky. You can try to minimize the sky in the picture, and that might help, but a polarizer could be more of a limitation or detriment than an enhancer for outdoor photography with an ultra-wide lens.

Since the original poster was primarily interested in something to protect his lens and didn't want to spend a lot, I don't think a polarizer is the right choice, unless he doesn't plan to take many pictures outdoors with the sky in it. I figured with a lens like a 10-24mm, he probably would be taking some outdoor pictures, so he should start with a decent UV or protector filter, and realize that if he gets a polarizer, it will have additional caveats that it wouldn't have on a normal or telephoto lens.
11-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
I'm the OP so just to clarify my needs, foremost I want to protect the lens. I enjoy photography but I also like to go hiking around with camera in hand. Not only do I get nice pictures (sometimes), I also get some needed exercise. Occasionally the unexpected happens while on a trail, such as a small branch snapping back towards me as I clear a path. Hence, I want the protection even if I might on occasion loose some IQ. However, I'm sure I'm loosing a lot more IQ due to "operator error" than the filter.
I also take landscape shots using the kit 18-55 lens, which has a polarizer on it most of the time. Nader's comment makes sense and he brings out an interesting point. I probably would have never thought of the potential impact of the polarizer on the image and would have attributed any defect that I might have noticed in the image to "operator error". Ira brings out an equally interesting point. To me I accept both points and intend to keep in mind how a polarizer may impact an image. While I'll spend the money on a UV filter, I'll keep this in mind when I'm shooting a scene with a lot of sky & the 18-55, especially if I'm working the lens from the shorter side. Excellent advice, much appreciated. There's only one disappointment- I ordered the lens yesterday from Abe's and it's at the UPS Customer Center located about 1.4 miles away from home as of 6:14 AM this morning, but they are CLOSED on Saturday! Could of had a lot of fun with the lens this weekend. (Rory, that's why I held off buying the filter before I got the lens but I think the Tammy 10-24 works OK with a filter. I think the Sigma 8-16 has the protruding bubble that interferes. I'll double check on Monday when it arrives just to be sure). It looks like a slim Hoya or Marumi UV might be the way to go. Time to comparison shop a bit while I await the arrival of my new toy!

11-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Looks like I can get a 77mm Hoya HMS a77UVGB or a77UV(C).
Anyone know the difference between the two?
They are both Haze filters and sell for around the same price but not at the same retailer.
Example: B&H sells the UV(C) and Adorama sells the UVGB.
Could they actually be the same item?
11-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use a polariser(CPL) on that lens and took at least of photo this summer and Greece and without it , I do not know what I could have done
11-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I use a polariser(CPL) on that lens and took at least of photo this summer and Greece and without it , I do not know what I could have done
What focal length was that taken at?
11-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
What focal length was that taken at?
17.5mm
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Addressing protection as your primary concern: separate the protection from the idea of a filter and things may rearrange themselves in different patterns.

I "grew up" understanding that filters were a shot-to-shot adjustment accessory and lens protection was to be assigned to something that could be removed for the shot.

Two things I've discovered that make the lens cap more attractive:

- A "cap leash" that allows the cap to be removed without fumbling for a place to put it is a great facilitator. The shorter the leash the better to avoid the pendulum effect and catching on things.
I often epoxy a 6-10" cord to the cap with a modified fishing snap swivel on the end of it to make a convenient leash.

- But old cut-off socks make a fine lens cover that can be easily stuffed in a pocket or up a sleeve and quickly removed from the lens. If lost, no great expense. Black nylon blends are unobtrusive and don't leave lint behind.

- You can also find reusable food can covers for storing open tins in the reefer - they look like tiny plastic shower caps - that work well.

Around blowing sand, dust or salt spray I do use a UV filter sometimes but I then don't worry much about the IQ effect as the conditions will mask any practical issues.

H2
11-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Looks like I can get a 77mm Hoya HMS a77UVGB or a77UV(C).
Anyone know the difference between the two?
They are both Haze filters and sell for around the same price but not at the same retailer.
Example: B&H sells the UV(C) and Adorama sells the UVGB.
Could they actually be the same item?
The UV(C) at least is a quality item with the multicoating ('HMC'). I suspect that the 'G' stands for the cheaper green box filters which are uncoated.