Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Kinda curious about Older Manual lenses and the new K-5.

So I read somewhere on here a week or two ago that manual lenses on the newer K-5 are finicky or more flaws show up in photos. Is this because of the sensitivity on the new sensor? Or is this just made up and it depends on how good the glass on the old lenses are(This makes more sense to me)?

Was going to buy a K-7 and use all old manual lenses but might just spring for the K-5 and put it on a monthly pay plan.

Last edited by Abstract; 11-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you ask me: It's all made up. Most of the old Takumar lenses perform very well on a DSLR.
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I am sorta figuring that, glass is what counts I always thought....Just wanted to make sure. Would be funny if I would be better off with a K-7 or K20D...would be a pretty expensive mistake.
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Raylon

It may be the K-5 sensor outresolving the lens, and those pixel-peepers are complaining about it. They zoom in 100% and expect it to be the same as the K-7, but it won't be. The image will still look fantastic when not pixel peeping though.

11-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Yeah I am sorta figuring that, glass is what counts I always thought....Just wanted to make sure. Would be funny if I would be better off with a K-7 or K20D...would be a pretty expensive mistake.
The dynamic range is much higher on the K-5 and the noise at high ISO is much lower. It might be worth the additional cost - it depends on what you will be shooting. Only you can decide what to pick!

I don't think you will notice any difference in resolution - the difference between 14MP and 16MP isn't noticeable, and the K-7 and K20S are very capable cameras.
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah was just wondering about older lenses, good to know its still worht it for the K-5, thanks!
11-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Metering with manual glass is, in general, more finicky than the auto stuff... but that should not hold you back. Optical preview allows you to spot meter in real time, and it isn't so hard to get the hang of it. Rear e-dial = shutter speed and you can get pretty fast with the setup.

I'd plan for the k-5 if I was you... the new sensor just looks phenomenal.

11-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The most plausible explanation for digital-specific lenses i've heard so far was from one interview.

Main point was, that sensing layer of digital sensor is MUCH more thinner than film. This means the lens has to correct everything much more precisely for the image to form in thinner layer.

If in film the red, green and blue colours could come in to focus several micrometers apart, then digital sensor itself is few microns thick.

Of course this is not at all K-5 specific. Some older lenses were already made precise enough to outperform any modern sensor, some may introduce aberrations (E.g. tamron 70-300).
11-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
The most plausible explanation for digital-specific lenses i've heard so far was from one interview.

Main point was, that sensing layer of digital sensor is MUCH more thinner than film. This means the lens has to correct everything much more precisely for the image to form in thinner layer.

If in film the red, green and blue colours could come in to focus several micrometers apart, then digital sensor itself is few microns thick.

Of course this is not at all K-5 specific. Some older lenses were already made precise enough to outperform any modern sensor, some may introduce aberrations (E.g. tamron 70-300).
So basically there isn't anything to worry about more then on the K-7 if I am using good older Screwmount and M,K glass? Which is the only kind I would buy in the first place. Wonder if theat 1300 dollar price that DX0 listed will hit by the end of this year...I sure hope so, already got a mint Pentax-M 1.4 50mm I got off ebay for 75 bucks...