Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #1

Dust in lens, could this effect the Image Quality?

This is dust I assume...Would it effect my Images?

Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/05b6to5w2kkgrhqjiyeydsidij

I don't wanna buy a lens and have a paper weight

11-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, this will affect image quality, though probably not as much as most would guess.
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Alright...hmm well instead of opening another thread, is this lens:

ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - b7mo6owbgkkgrhqiokigezq.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - b7mpdpw2kkgrhqiokiezn1q.jpg

the same as this lens: SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

The only reason I ask is because the numers on the one on this site have color and this one has only black and white. Sorry to be a bother....Just want to get decent lenses.
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
The only reason I ask is because the numers on the one on this site have color and this one has only black and white.
Those photos appear to be greyscale (i.e. non-color) photos.

11-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well don't I feel silly lol...thanks.
11-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've loads of old manual lenses that naturally have internal dust due to their age, but I don't really see them affecting IQ. If the dust is thick enough to form a layer on one of the inner lens elements then sure, but specks here and there don't really affect the IQ that much.
11-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing that you will notice with dust in a lens is an increased tendency to flare if you are shooting into the sun. Otherwise, I think there will be no effect on image quality.
11-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

apparently you can stick a piece of note paper on the front of a lens and not see it in the viewfinder. so too, you can repair a scratch on the front element with indian ink and the lens will work fine...i guess contrast might drop with a bit of dust, but otherwise, who cares. all my lenses have dust apart from one which i paid GBP60 to have CLA'd

11-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
apparently you can stick a piece of note paper on the front of a lens and not see it in the viewfinder. so too, you can repair a scratch on the front element with indian ink and the lens will work fine...i guess contrast might drop with a bit of dust, but otherwise, who cares. all my lenses have dust apart from one which i paid GBP60 to have CLA'd
Nothing beats this: LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches