Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Can someone show what the A* 135mm f/1.8 can do.

Fellow Pentaxians,

Once in a while ( long while ) we hear of legendary lens such as the A* 135 f/1.8. But we hardly see any pictures taken with this lens being posted . Can anyone post some photos to show the performance of this lens.

11-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maverickh Quote
Fellow Pentaxians,

Once in a while ( long while ) we hear of legendary lens such as the A* 135 f/1.8. But we hardly see any pictures taken with this lens being posted . Can anyone post some photos to show the performance of this lens.
There have been som shots posted in the 135mm lens club.

Currently I'm posting a serie of theater shots with it on the anything live-stage photo thread.

I've also posted shots from the Alice in wonderland.

I've also shown its performance together with the SMC Pentax-A Rear converter 2x-s, a fantastic combination.

It also participated in a shoot out between the DA*50-135 against the A50/1.7, A100/2.8, A*85/1.4 and A*135/1.8.

And long ago I posted some shots with it used for macro in combo with the Vivitar/Kenko macro converter.

That's what I can remember from me on this forum. You can try my blogg and flickr as well. The reason you don't see much pictures from it is probably because few copies were made and some of these ended up among collectors that hardly use their lenses.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 11-07-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: bad spelling
11-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the contributions. Apart from the fact that its at f/1.8. what are qualities makes it special.

Seldom get to see photos taken from this lens . any idea how many were manufactured. I understand that Canon also has a 135mm f/2. Any idea what is holding back Pentax from manufacturing this lens in DA format.
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the contributions. Apart from the fact that its at f/1.8. what are qualities makes it special.

Seldom get to see photos taken from this lens . any idea how many were manufactured. I understand that Canon also has a 135mm f/2. Any idea what is holding back Pentax from manufacturing this lens in DA format.
What is most unusual to me is how sharp and contrasty it is a wide open. Of course all lenses lose a bit of these qualities wide open simply because wider apperture means more stray light beams, more or less a natural law, but this lens suffers less from that than other fast tele lenses I've tried. The A*135/1.8 is clearly more usable at f1.8 than the A*85/1.4 is at f1.4 (unless you want the 85 to go a bit soft for portrait).
You sometimes here that the A line were less well built than the M and K line. I think that is comming from a few plastic details in the most mass produced kit zoom lenses and the plastic internal detail that sometimes break in the apperture ring of the A50/1.7 and A50/2, but the rest of the line were pure metal and glass, and the A* lenses are as well built as any K lenses. The A*135 is a joy to focus, gives you a bright viewfinder and has a smooth focus throw.

As for why there is no DA*135/1.8. There never was a F* or FA*135/1.8 either. That is more of a mystery to me. For the DA line, I simply think that Pentax did not expect to sell enough of it having lost market shares throughout the 90's and being late into the digital age. With market share picking up with more and more K-x, K-r and K-5 bodies sold, I hope they will again launch some high spec lenses. But before giving anything similar to the A*135 I'd like to see the A*200/4 macro or FA*200/4 macro in a DFA* version.

As for quantity, I don't know. But based on that it appears to be about as unusual as the FA*200 macro, which I've heared was only built in 1100 copies, I'd guess something similar. That's not much on a global basis. Especially considering that some ended up on the shelfes of collectors.

11-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
What is most unusual to me is how sharp and contrasty it is a wide open. Of course all lenses lose a bit of these qualities wide open simply because wider apperture means more stray light beams, more or less a natural law, but this lens suffers less from that than other fast tele lenses I've tried. The A*135/1.8 is clearly more usable at f1.8 than the A*85/1.4 is at f1.4 (unless you want the 85 to go a bit soft for portrait).
You sometimes here that the A line were less well built than the M and K line. I think that is comming from a few plastic details in the most mass produced kit zoom lenses and the plastic internal detail that sometimes break in the apperture ring of the A50/1.7 and A50/2, but the rest of the line were pure metal and glass, and the A* lenses are as well built as any K lenses. The A*135 is a joy to focus, gives you a bright viewfinder and has a smooth focus throw.

As for why there is no DA*135/1.8. There never was a F* or FA*135/1.8 either. That is more of a mystery to me. For the DA line, I simply think that Pentax did not expect to sell enough of it having lost market shares throughout the 90's and being late into the digital age. With market share picking up with more and more K-x, K-r and K-5 bodies sold, I hope they will again launch some high spec lenses. But before giving anything similar to the A*135 I'd like to see the A*200/4 macro or FA*200/4 macro in a DFA* version.

As for quantity, I don't know. But based on that it appears to be about as unusual as the FA*200 macro, which I've heared was only built in 1100 copies, I'd guess something similar. That's not much on a global basis. Especially considering that some ended up on the shelfes of collectors.

Hi Douglas,

Thanks once again for the insight.

Hope to see more pictures from this wonderful lens.

Cheers !!!
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Why there is no DA 135/1.8 is because Pentax have considered it covered by 50-135 and the DFA WR 100... imho. Same reason as to why we don't have FA 28-70/4 in production anymore.

Of course to have a true replacement we would need a 90mm/1.4, but as you said Pentax probably thinks it's not worth the investment to continue producing this lens.
11-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's some.

My pic from our exclusive gallery:

3D effect:

Here's one of my first test shots:

And a crop of that same image:

11-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Of course to have a true replacement we would need a 90mm/1.4, but as you said Pentax probably thinks it's not worth the investment to continue producing this lens.
90mm/1.4 is almost covered with the FA* 85/1.4

I don't think I could call that a replacement. The A* 135/1.8 brings a whole new level of creativity to my photography.
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My pics from this lens

11-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

dsport, I just love the third
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Why there is no DA 135/1.8 is because Pentax have considered it covered by 50-135 and the DFA WR 100... imho. Same reason as to why we don't have FA 28-70/4 in production anymore.

A fast 135mm f/1.8 would give you the reach of the fast 200mm primes that you see from Canon and Nikon. Personally a think 135mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens for an aps-c body especially for people who cover indoor sports. A DA* 135mm f/1.8 Limited would be a welcome addition.
11-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
dsport, I just love the third
Thanks, the pic was taken at night. This is what f1.8 can do.
11-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

Thansk for the contributions.

Keep the pictures coming .
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Guys,

Thansk for the contributions.

Keep the pictures coming .
If we do, you'll cave and spend too much money on one...
11-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
If we do, you'll cave and spend too much money on one...

Ha Ha, well, just like in some places , the kids are heard but never seen.

It would be great for many of us to see how best the strength of this lens can be best utilised.