Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #16

As Douglas said, the main appeal of this less is how sharp it is, even wide open (and it gets better as you stop down). I've also found that colours have a lot of "pop" - these attributes make using it wide-open a joy. You just have to watch out for some PF. Here's an example shot at f1.8 in poor flourescent lighting (no PP):

A 100%, unsharpened crop of the above:

This is by far the sharpest lens I've owned/used.

See my little mini-review post from a while back for more examples:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87407-my-revie...ning-long.html

11-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
What is most unusual to me is how sharp and contrasty it is a wide open. Of course all lenses lose a bit of these qualities wide open simply because wider apperture means more stray light beams, more or less a natural law, but this lens suffers less from that than other fast tele lenses I've tried. The A*135/1.8 is clearly more usable at f1.8 than the A*85/1.4 is at f1.4 (unless you want the 85 to go a bit soft for portrait).
Interesting, that's the first time I've heard this comment made vs. the A*85.

The A*85 has been shown to outperform the Canon 85L MkII wide-open, so that gives you an idea of the level of performance we are dealing with here.

QuoteQuote:
You sometimes here that the A line were less well built than the M and K line. I think that is comming from a few plastic details in the most mass produced kit zoom lenses and the plastic internal detail that sometimes break in the apperture ring of the A50/1.7 and A50/2, but the rest of the line were pure metal and glass, and the A* lenses are as well built as any K lenses. The A*135 is a joy to focus, gives you a bright viewfinder and has a smooth focus throw.

As for why there is no DA*135/1.8. There never was a F* or FA*135/1.8 either. That is more of a mystery to me. For the DA line, I simply think that Pentax did not expect to sell enough of it having lost market shares throughout the 90's and being late into the digital age. With market share picking up with more and more K-x, K-r and K-5 bodies sold, I hope they will again launch some high spec lenses. But before giving anything similar to the A*135 I'd like to see the A*200/4 macro or FA*200/4 macro in a DFA* version.
I think the A* line represents the epitome of Pentax lens engineering. Sure there are some other greats in the FA* series, but from my understanding the engineers were given free reign when designing the A* series. For the later F* and FA* series they had to work with more limited budgets.
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #18

And long ago I posted some shots with it used for macro in combo with the Vivitar/Kenko macro converter.
I would like to see how the A*135 performs when paired with the F-AF 1.7x. I think the results would make me "retire" my FA*200.
11-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
My pics from this lens

The third and fourth photos are incredible! Sublime.

11-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There have been som shots posted in the 135mm lens club.

Currently I'm posting a serie of theater shots with it on the anything live-stage photo thread.

I've also posted shots from the Alice in wonderland.

I've also shown its performance together with the SMC Pentax-A Rear converter 2x-s, a fantastic combination.

It also participated in a shoot out between the DA*50-135 against the A50/1.7, A100/2.8, A*85/1.4 and A*135/1.8.

And long ago I posted some shots with it used for macro in combo with the Vivitar/Kenko macro converter.

That's what I can remember from me on this forum. You can try my blogg and flickr as well. The reason you don't see much pictures from it is probably because few copies were made and some of these ended up among collectors that hardly use their lenses.
More A*135 shots on the live stage thread now.
11-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's true. Wide open the PF/GF can be a hurdle, but in fairness, even my DA* 55/1.4 can exhibit this issue, and it can be fixed in post (although I only do so in critical scenes.)

Those shots of Alice in Wonderland were some of the ammo that pushed me over the edge into buying this lens. The color rendition on them is superb if I do say so myself.
11-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
As Douglas said, the main appeal of this less is how sharp it is, even wide open (and it gets better as you stop down). I've also found that colours have a lot of "pop" - these attributes make using it wide-open a joy. You just have to watch out for some PF. Here's an example shot at f1.8 in poor flourescent lighting (no PP):

A 100%, unsharpened crop of the above:

This is by far the sharpest lens I've owned/used.

See my little mini-review post from a while back for more examples:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87407-my-revie...ning-long.html

Hi photogerald,

Thanks for providing the link to yr review of the A 135 f/1.8. I am impressed . This review together with that from Douglas of Sweden, helps to give us an idea of how fantastic this lens is.

Keep the photos coming.

11-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
It's true. Wide open the PF/GF can be a hurdle, but in fairness, even my DA* 55/1.4 can exhibit this issue, and it can be fixed in post (although I only do so in critical scenes.)

Those shots of Alice in Wonderland were some of the ammo that pushed me over the edge into buying this lens. The color rendition on them is superb if I do say so myself.

Hi Clinton,

Thanks for your contribution to our understanding of this legendary lens. Keep the photos coming too.
11-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
DJP

I recently purchased the A* 135mm, f1.8 on ebay. So far I love the lens. Here's a picture I took tonight just before we had some pumpkin pie. The photo was focused on the water faucet to try to demonstrate it's sharpness and DOF.
F 1.7, 1/160 sec, ISO 1600.

Last edited by DJP; 11-26-2010 at 07:04 AM.
11-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DJP Quote
I recently purchased the A* 135mm, f1.8 on ebay. So far I love the lens. Here's a picture I took tonight just before we had some pumpkin pie. The photo was focused on the water faucet to try to demonstrate it's sharpness and DOF.

Hi , may I enquire how much did it cost you .

Was this taken wide open ?

Thanks in advance.
11-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
DJP

Sorry, I forgot to include the settings for the photo: F 1.7, 1/160 sec, ISO 1600.
As you can see from the above, I like other posters on this thread, have noticed the camera registering both F 1,7 and 1.8 for this lens.
The price of the lens? Lets just say it was a lot, but due to Post "LBA" Stress Disorder the exact number is now just a blur.
11-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote

Thanks!

Realising that I may be partly responsible for making big wholes in some peoples lens budgets, I think I need to tempt you to spend more money. The A*135/1.8 behaves marvelously together with the SMC Pentax-A 2x-S converter, and while this converter are among the more costly, the 270/3.6 lens you get is so good that it is worth it, especially considering that you already payed up the bigger bill with the A*135. Some examples of this combo in the links I first posted in this thread.

And of course, AOHC place the A*135 among the masterpieces of Pentax.
11-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DJP Quote
I recently purchased the A* 135mm, f1.8 on ebay.
Congratulations! Welcome to the club of legendary glass.

As a note to the others, there is one of these beauties in our marketplace right now. It has some front element damage, but if I didn't own one, I'd be looking hard at that for sale item.
11-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maverickh Quote
Hi , may I enquire how much did it cost you .

Thanks in advance.
I expect if you search for completed listings you'll see how this lens finished up.

Also, for those of you needing to drool, there's one presently listed on ebay that's being sold from Denver rather than Hong Kong or Japan.
11-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #30
gtl
Veteran Member

Hmm, i see much purple fringing in the pictures no? Like on the faucet. And the camera chrome parts.