Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens or sensor problem?

Hi guys, on friday, I received the DA 35 macro Ltd I bought second-hand, it is used but works without any problems. On saturday I went out to do some test shots with my K-x, and I already noticed this when focusing in LV, and after some pixel peeping I can see, that some areas are just coloured very oddly, as you can see on the attached pictures (400 % screenshots). Here is a link where you can download zipped jpegs and raws (2 pics, 31 MB) Uloz.to | DA35macro.zip

So, the question is, anybody else noticed this, is it caused by lens, or the sensor not being able to handle the resolution?
Thank you very much for comments

11-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's called moire, it isn't a defect. And at the degrees of magnification you are looking at, it really isn't surprising you can see it. Depending on what is causing it sometimes, it can be nearly impossible to remove moire from the image, but in most cases it is relatively simple to remove in post processing. There are numerous tutorials and techniques on the internet that can help to eliminate it.

Film never suffered from it because of the random distribution of film grain/ dye clouds.
11-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Film never suffered from it because of the random distribution of film grain/ dye clouds.
Thanks mate
Oh, good old film times
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I can't download the file, but that looks more like a screen on the door/window that is causing the problem, not anything to do with film or digital differences. You can still get moire patterns with film.

11-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You can still get moire patterns with film.
only if you're scanning it.
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I can't download the file, but that looks more like a screen on the door/window that is causing the problem.
hmm, possible regional restrictions
hope that Picasa is not Picasa Web Albums - stanic - DA 35 macro l...

there are no screens over those surfaces, as you (hopefully) can see, on the first pic, those oddly coloured bars are just painted metal
I compared this lens to the kit DAL 18-55, @ f8 it is just a little bit softer, which is great result I think, but the DA 35 macro is a winner when it comes to contrast handling-and maybe there is just too much for this sensor (I dont know)