Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 70-210 f4 vs A*200 macro question

Anyone know how these two lenses would compare in distant focus setting? When macro gets here may replace the zoom in the bag for every day use.
thanks
barondla

09-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First, congradulation to owning this A* 200 macro!

I do not own A 70-210 f4 but I am sure it is a good performer (hearing from moderator Joele)

There is no need to talk about how great A* 200 macro for macro shots are. When it comes to daily snap shots, this lens is equally superb.

In general, the shots tend to over expose by 1 stop or so on k10d using its automatic metering. Why? No ideas why this is the case. Maybe this only happens to me but I am already used to it. When Darren Melrose used it, he criticised the lens a lot because changing environment setting would mean a different metering parameter for the lens.

And watch out for HIGH CONTRASTY IMAGES from this lens. You do not need to do much post processing for its colour or contrast. They are usually at the peak when you take a peek in the photoshop. The fun thing is that you can retrieve details from a white sky easily with a bit of curve work or leveling. You will be amazed.

For protraits or people shots, wrinkles or skin creases do show up easily and they are hard to rid off in photoshop! (since the whole face needs to rework a little) I tend to find healing brush could work well when the lighting on the face is uniformly illuminated. People with moles, blemishes on their faces would not do too well with this lens unless the shots are intended for social documentary purpose.

f5.6

The images from this lens does produce a lot of interesting mood. The only criticism of this lens is too dark through the view finder. Very often, I had to bump up the ISO to 800 or so to take the shots and spend hours in PP.

f8

f8

f4

f4

f5.6

Looking forward to your posts soon

Cheers

James
09-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens looks good at distance focus. Know it is higher spec lens than A70-210f4. Only worry was the macro is optimized for shorter distances vs the zoom. Never use the zoom anywhere but 200. Figure it can be left at home so the bag doesn't get much heavier. Already normally carry 10-17, 16-45, 31, 77, DFA 100 macro, A70-210, A400. 200 macro may even cause me to leave the DFA100 at home. Even the Domke is running out of room.
Lens should arrive next week. Have wanted this lens for years. Even passed up the 250-600 to get this lens. Hard to sleep at night waiting for it to arrive. Pentax will probably announce a new version a week after wards. I appreciate you taking the time to post all the pics and answer my questions.
thanks
barondla (watch out bugs)
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
There is no need to talk about how great A* 200 macro for macro shots are. When it comes to daily snap shots, this lens is equally superb.

In general, the shots tend to over expose by 1 stop or so on k10d using its automatic metering. Why? No ideas why this is the case. Maybe this only happens to me but I am already used to it. When Darren Melrose used it, he criticised the lens a lot because changing environment setting would mean a different metering parameter for the lens.
Have you tried checking linearity of exposure across the apature range.

You can do this by taking a uniform grey - white surface (block wall, sidewalk, pavement etc..) and with the camera on AV, and ISO set to give about 1/2000-1/3000 shutter speed, take a shot at each apature value and plot gray scale value vs apature. It would be interesting to see

09-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

James
Those are some beautiful photos, James. Very nice. I have the FA*200/2.8, but might get one of those A*200/4 macro someday, when I get enough time shooting macros ...
09-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Lens looks good at distance focus. Know it is higher spec lens than A70-210f4. Only worry was the macro is optimized for shorter distances vs the zoom. Never use the zoom anywhere but 200. Figure it can be left at home so the bag doesn't get much heavier. Already normally carry 10-17, 16-45, 31, 77, DFA 100 macro, A70-210, A400. 200 macro may even cause me to leave the DFA100 at home. Even the Domke is running out of room.
Lens should arrive next week. Have wanted this lens for years. Even passed up the 250-600 to get this lens. Hard to sleep at night waiting for it to arrive. Pentax will probably announce a new version a week after wards. I appreciate you taking the time to post all the pics and answer my questions.
thanks
barondla (watch out bugs)
Oh man, that's alot gear you carry normally. I myself normally only carry one or two lenses at most when I'm out shooting. As to which lens to carry, all depends on what I'm gonna shoot mostly for that day

Oh btw, congrats on the new lens, the best macro lens - not by me, but some others
09-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
lots of gear

Yes, I carry a lot of gear. It is a curse to love lots of different types of photography. If I only did macros , or landscapes, etc. it would be much easier. Have many lenses not normally carried. 15 3.5, M24-35, DA 18-55, A50 1.7, A35-70. One moment doing macro, next shooting landscape, next doing ultra wide abstract. Flit from one thing to the next. If going out to do street photography two lenses would do. 35 eq. 35mm and something in the 85-100 range.
Have to admit would have a hard time justifying the use of 100, 125, and 200 macro like Roenterre. What do you use them all for? Maybe I don't want to know. The bag is full.
thanks
barondla