Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New K 1.8/55. Do I have a problem?

Hey guys, I just got myself a SMC Pentax 1.8/55 from a certain auction site.
It looks plenty nice and sharp from the first few shots I took with it but there is one problem, when I turn the focusing ring I can feel and hear a sound of what I can only describe as grease and dust smearing.
Everything else seems fine, the iris seems to work flawlessly at every stop and it meters just about as any other manual lens I tried, but this thing with the focusing ring bothers me a little, it also seems like it causes the focusing ring not to turn as smoothly as it should, though it does pretty well for me and I don't really know how it is suposed to be since I never used a K series lens before.
Well, I would like to know what is this thing I am describing and if it can have any effect on the lens' usability (currently or in the future), so I would like to hear from anyone who had a similar experience or maybe knows a way to fix this, if it does require fixing.

Thanks,
Pablo

11-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rotate the focusing ring back and forth as fast as you can for like a full minute.

If it isn't affecting the images, you can learn to live with it, as annoying as it might be.

But what I suggest is the same fix used for audio electronics knobs that get dirty. You're simply grinding down and loosening those particles.
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After you start using the lens, the ring should loosen up to normal levels. The same thing happened to be when I bought my first 35-105mm- the lens could barely zoom at first, and there was a similar noise. After I had been using it for about a month, everything seemed normal, and the zoom ring was smooth and noise-free.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Rotate the focusing ring back and forth as fast as you can for like a full minute.

If it isn't affecting the images, you can learn to live with it, as annoying as it might be.

But what I suggest is the same fix used for audio electronics knobs that get dirty. You're simply grinding down and loosening those particles.
Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it did help a little with the sand-like feeling but the main thing that bothers me is the grease or whatever lubricant is there.
I'm not really thinking about a real disassemble of the lens since I will probably ruin things more than I can fix and sending it to a pro is not realistic considering the modest price I payed for the lens.
I guess I want a miracle solution if there is any, or maybe I'll just use it as it is and forget about the so called defect just like I handled the dust in my viewfinder.

11-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
After you start using the lens, the ring should loosen up to normal levels. The same thing happened to be when I bought my first 35-105mm- the lens could barely zoom at first, and there was a similar noise. After I had been using it for about a month, everything seemed normal, and the zoom ring was smooth and noise-free.
thanks Adam, that is a relief, I hope I will have a similar experience