Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old Pentax Glass on a Sony NEX 3

If anyone is curious as to what old Pentax glass + a Sony NEX-3 can do I just got back from NYC and took plenty of pics using nothing but a Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 as well as a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4. I'll post a few below, but if interested here is a Flickr link with large sizes at least 2000px wide:
Flickr: Eric Parks' stuff tagged with sonynex3

I love the combo for the most part, but I have to admit I think I will replaces the Pentax 28mm with something from Leica land. Shooting totally in live view is odd, I love doing it, but you become aware of a lens weaknesses really quickly. I attempted to take a pic wide open with my 50mm and I had to step down because I could actually see CA's all over the frame as I focused.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 11-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
11-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at one of these and the 16mm lens yesterday. It seemed o.k. to handle with the prime on it, but the zoom was a bit unwieldy.
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I looked at one of these and the 16mm lens yesterday. It seemed o.k. to handle with the prime on it, but the zoom was a bit unwieldy.
The zoom actually doesn't bother me in use, but I'm going to sell it simply because I don't care for zooms. Manual focus really isn't a big deal at all with these kinds of cameras, so if there's anyone else like me with a bunch of old manual glass that would otherwise go unused I highly recommend picking up one as a travel/street camera. I took pics with this camera that I could have never gotten with a DSLR simply due to the tiny size and flip up LCD. I sat down on park benches right next to people and managed to get candid shots without them knowing. The NEX3 is by far the most discrete camera I've used. Rangefinder glass is probably a better match due to the shorter flange distance, but k-mount glass works surprisingly well due to the small size of most of the old A and M primes.
11-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking at it with the intention of using it primarily with my m42 and k legacy glass. The 16mm lens seemed to be a fairly nice glass for af situations. How is the video functionality? I found this body more impressive than what I expected from photos.

08-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #5

Great images Eric. I am expecting my silver NEX3 & 16mm also order some m42/eos/fd adapters to use with my lens. It'll be fun to mount my FD Tokina 300 2.8 to it.