Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Fritz: congratulations on your purchase.

I have gotten into dabbling with screwmount lenses. I now own eight, and have two more on the way (see my profile). I use film only, though, as I have no interest in digital.

With regard to your findings, I am not surprised. The Super Taks and SMCs are excellent, and there are some that believe they can compete with the best. In regard to your comments concerning flare, you might try using an SMC filter. I use Hoya Super-HMC filters (super multi-coated) on all of my lenses. I have not done specific comparisons yet, but I tend to think that--especially with a single-coat lens (i.e. a Super Tak)--a super multi-coated filter may help control flare and ghosting. The way I see it is: when an SMC filter is put on the front of a Super Tak, it could be like giving it the SMC coating it never had

It is something to think about...

Glen

PS: I just love the ease of cleaning on a non-multi-coated lens (i.e. a Super Tak). The glass is as smooth as butter, and things come off so simply. SMC lenses (and filters) have that bit of tacky resistance.

PPS: Some Japanese photographers believe that non-multi-coated lenses perform better than their multi-coated cousins in b&w photography.

06-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nice work Fritz ... I have this same lens nad it does produce some really lovely images indeed.

Glen ... thanks for the idea about SMC filters as well.
06-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I'm having fun with this lens atm too...
came virtually free with a bag of spotmatic and stuff...
I have 4 28mms that I am attempting to prune down to one. 2 are the earlier takumars with the huge front element and one a sigma 2.8.
This lens is the least impressive looking but probably best performance
Pete
For the price these lenses have tremendous bang for the buck. Lots of fun for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Fritz: congratulations on your purchase.

I have gotten into dabbling with screwmount lenses. I now own eight, and have two more on the way (see my profile). I use film only, though, as I have no interest in digital.

With regard to your findings, I am not surprised. The Super Taks and SMCs are excellent, and there are some that believe they can compete with the best. In regard to your comments concerning flare, you might try using an SMC filter. I use Hoya Super-HMC filters (super multi-coated) on all of my lenses. I have not done specific comparisons yet, but I tend to think that--especially with a single-coat lens (i.e. a Super Tak)--a super multi-coated filter may help control flare and ghosting. The way I see it is: when an SMC filter is put on the front of a Super Tak, it could be like giving it the SMC coating it never had

It is something to think about...

Glen

PS: I just love the ease of cleaning on a non-multi-coated lens (i.e. a Super Tak). The glass is as smooth as butter, and things come off so simply. SMC lenses (and filters) have that bit of tacky resistance.

PPS: Some Japanese photographers believe that non-multi-coated lenses perform better than their multi-coated cousins in b&w photography.
Thanks zx-m. I liked the 28mm f3.5 so much I also picked up a 35mm f3.5, a 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.9 and a 135mm f3.5. All super taks, and all wonderful lenses IMHO. I've shot the 28mm quite a bit on digital since I got it, but also recently tried it on film and I was really impressed with the results. So many different ways to use these old lenses! I love it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Nice work Fritz ... I have this same lens nad it does produce some really lovely images indeed.

Glen ... thanks for the idea about SMC filters as well.
Thanks Mechan1k. These old lenses sure are fun aren't they.
06-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm having fun with this lens atm too...
came virtually free with a bag of spotmatic and stuff...
I have 4 28mms that I am attempting to prune down to one. 2 are the earlier takumars with the huge front element and one a sigma 2.8.
This lens is the least impressive looking but probably best performance
Pete

Congrats on your new lens Transit, it looks like you got a winner copy there.

Now I have to talk you into trying your hand at Post Processing
I know that it's a good feeling when you get the photo perfect right in the camera, however with about 10 seconds work you could have had it looking like this

I hope that you don't mind me doing this quick edit.

All that I did was lighten the shadows, and darken the highlights. I then Bumped the contrast a little

06-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats neat thanks Stu
I took that pic as the sun was setting.
what program did you use to make those adjustments ?

cheers
Pete
06-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats neat thanks Stu
I took that pic as the sun was setting.
what program did you use to make those adjustments ?

cheers
Pete
I used ACDSee Pro Pete, however I know that you can do the same sort of thing using Gimp or Photoplus 6. Both of which are free on-line.

ACDSee just makes it easy, without requiring any layering. Although I don't have enough experience doing edition with either program to help you out with them.
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that
I'm using FastStone and starting to play with rawtherapy
Pete