Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I just got my Super Takumar 28mm!

Yeah, I'm a little excited. I hope it's not for nothing! I think I might be developing a little LBA.

Anyway I picked up this early Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 on e-bay for what seemed to be a decent price ($26.00). Lens cleaned up nice, and included both original caps, a hood, both cases, and a UV filter. The only "flaw" I can find with it is the return on the stop down pin can be a little slow occasionally. But that shouldn't cause me any issues on the k100d. Overall it looks really nice. My adapter hasn't arrived yet, so I have a few questions.

Anyone here familiar with this early version of the 28mm, and what I might expect from it as far as image quality? I know it's optically a little different then the later versions which people seem to like. Obviously no S-M-C either.

It came with a UV filter. Do I use this or not with my K100d. It's an Asahi Pentax filter if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help. And now a few pictures, of the lens of course!

09-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have paid more than twice the amount for alens that was not this good looking. I have not been ablo to test it rigorously; my first impression is that "my copy" has some sort of defect and the first pictures were nothing special...
09-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your a lucky man Fritz,

I won't have my Super Takumar 300mm for 2 weeks, and I'm really looking forward to getting it.
I bought it from a friend over a month ago, and since we're going fishing at a function together we decided to exchange it then instead of shipping it.

About the UV filter. You should really try the lens without the filter on, and with it on.
I have 1 lens that I thought was a dud take wonderful photographs when I used it with a filter.
I didn't give it much of a chance before trying it with the filter on, so the lens may have been a good one after all, but I'm not taking a chance with it while on assignment.... which is the only time that I'll probably use the lens.
09-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's really a little gem of a lens. I still can't believe I ever sold mine!

09-19-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have tested the SMC Takumar 28/3.5 against several K-mount 28mm lenses and found the Takumar to be weak in the corners, resolutionwise and CA. Center was very good, though.
09-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
I have paid more than twice the amount for alens that was not this good looking. I have not been ablo to test it rigorously; my first impression is that "my copy" has some sort of defect and the first pictures were nothing special...
It seems like it was a good deal, I'll have to patiently await my adapter before I can test and see if it was indeed a good deal!

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Your a lucky man Fritz,

I won't have my Super Takumar 300mm for 2 weeks, and I'm really looking forward to getting it.
I bought it from a friend over a month ago, and since we're going fishing at a function together we decided to exchange it then instead of shipping it.

About the UV filter. You should really try the lens without the filter on, and with it on.
I have 1 lens that I thought was a dud take wonderful photographs when I used it with a filter.
I didn't give it much of a chance before trying it with the filter on, so the lens may have been a good one after all, but I'm not taking a chance with it while on assignment.... which is the only time that I'll probably use the lens.
If I like this lens I thought about trying to pickup something longer. Maybe in the 300mm-400mm range. I'll be curious to see how you like yours. I guess the best answer to the UV filter question is just to try it out and see what I get.

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
That's really a little gem of a lens. I still can't believe I ever sold mine!
I hope mine is a good one!

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I have tested the SMC Takumar 28/3.5 against several K-mount 28mm lenses and found the Takumar to be weak in the corners, resolutionwise and CA. Center was very good, though.
Thanks, I had read that it can be weak in the corners. So I'll expect that. I was hoping for low distortion, and decent sharpness at least in the center. Good CA control is always nice!

Hopefully the adapter arrives today!
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great lens. Sharp as a tack. Good contrast and color rendition. You will like the results form it, I'm sure.
09-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens was the first piece of Pentax gear that I ever owned. Back when I originally bought it, I loved the colors and the crispness of the images it created. But I sold it long ago, so I have no idea how it would do in the digital world.

09-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

I got the adapter, and now I have a few more questions. To get the focus indicator to work I have to change the "FI with S lens" setting? When I change that the shake reduction will come back too right? The manual doesn't describe this very well, or I just don't read very well. I assume this is because the electrical contacts are not covered when a screw mount lens is on.

I was playing around a little with it at lunch, but didn't have the focus indicator available. Needless to say focusing is a little difficult without it! Shake reduction would be nice too. Other then that it looks like the results are going to be great.

I have also read about people using EV corrections to get the exposures right. Any recommendations on this.

Thanks!
09-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Thanks for the responses.

I got the adapter, and now I have a few more questions. To get the focus indicator to work I have to change the "FI with S lens" setting? When I change that the shake reduction will come back too right? The manual doesn't describe this very well, or I just don't read very well. I assume this is because the electrical contacts are not covered when a screw mount lens is on.

I was playing around a little with it at lunch, but didn't have the focus indicator available. Needless to say focusing is a little difficult without it! Shake reduction would be nice too. Other then that it looks like the results are going to be great.

I have also read about people using EV corrections to get the exposures right. Any recommendations on this.

Thanks!
Here is how I have my K10D set up.

The left hand switch on the front is set to "M". The knob is set to Av with some bump in Ev -- I don't seem to need the Ev bump when the camera is "M" mode on the knob, upon which, metering is with the green button.

In the custom menu, AF pressed half way is set to ON, and Using Aperture ring is set to Permitted.

I have the metering set to center point -- and AF switch also on center.

Hopfully, I'm not missing anything here. . .when you turn the camera on, it will ask for the focal length if the Shake Reduction is turned on.

Then you can hold down of the shutter release half way to get focus conformation (the green polygon), a red box appears to show where it is looking for focus -- mine is also set to only beep when it's in focus.

Stop down the lens after focusing, and take the picture. I get good results this way.

I dunno about the whole tin foil thing I read about occasionally, but my lens is all aluminum, so maybe it's already shorting those contacts on the mount.
09-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks konraDarnok. I got it all working as it should. By setting the "FI with S lens" setting to 2, the focus indicator started working as well as the shake reduction. Much easier to focus now.

Using the M setting and forcing the meter to take a "stop down" reading seems to provide the most accurate results. I was hoping to be able to dial in an EV adjustment and just use the Av setting. Then I could avoid the stop down step. I'll have to play around with it some more.
09-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I also would recommend using Av.
Then you can use EV compensation and avoid the AE-L pressing step.
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just won one on eBay myself! Except I paid $53. What a deal you got on yours Fritz, especially with the lens hood:-). Mine has a case and a filter but no hood, and has both caps. Mine is the early model with a 58mm filter ring size. My first Takumar.
I can't wait to hear how your 300mm performs Stu.
Fritz, have you had a chance to get any pictures yet? I'd like to see some.
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I just won one on eBay myself! Except I paid $53. What a deal you got on yours Fritz, especially with the lens hood:-). Mine has a case and a filter but no hood, and has both caps. Mine is the early model with a 58mm filter ring size. My first Takumar.
I can't wait to hear how your 300mm performs Stu.
Fritz, have you had a chance to get any pictures yet? I'd like to see some.
I have been playing around with this lens quite a bit in the last week. In fact it has hardly come off of the camera. There is a bit of a learning curve with the screw mount lens. It really makes you think about your photography. I like that.

The quality and feel of the lens is outstanding IMHO. The focus is smooth and and the aperture ring feels great too. I'll admit I have been doing some pixel peeping on the test shots that I have taken. I'm no expert in analysis on IQ, but this is my simple observations in comparing with my kit lens.

The sharpness of the images on the Super-Tak and the Kit lens(@28mm) are very comparable, even out to the edges. I would say that the contrast, in certain situations is slightly better on the kit lens. Nothing drastic, and in most cases I can't tell what lens took the photo as far as contrast goes.

The colors from the Super-tak are fantastic. But then again, nothing drastically different then the kit lens. The OOF areas on the Super-tak I do prefer over the kit lens. It just seems slightly smoother.

The other advantage I would give to the Super-tak is controlling CA's. It seems to do very well in this area. Also, no discernable barrel distortion with the Super-Tak vs. the kit lens.

A disadvantage of the Super-tak is in the area of sun flare. Don't point it at the sun! This is where the hood is important, especially with light coming in from the side. Of course just holding your hand up to block the light will help too.

Over all I like the "feel" of the images this lens produces, and I'm glad I picked up this lens. I think I need a few more.....

Here is a link to a picture thread from the other day.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/12410-my-boy-me-beach.html

And a few more.

And a few random shots. My youngest doing his homework. f3.5

And a boring picture of a chair. f3.5

I'm sure you will enjoy your "new" lens.
06-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm having fun with this lens atm too...
came virtually free with a bag of spotmatic and stuff...
I have 4 28mms that I am attempting to prune down to one. 2 are the earlier takumars with the huge front element and one a sigma 2.8.
This lens is the least impressive looking but probably best performance
Pete