Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I see! Yes, I've just had a look at the old K-mount Vivitar I have in my office and a Leica mount and the Leica is definitely thicker (by about 1.5mm!). I don't have a Leitax mount nearby but I assume they are not as thick as the Leica (will check when I go home) to keep the distance to the sensor/film place the same, if I understand you correctly (sorry if I am slow here).

So this might give the summilux the space it needs... hopefully

11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo!!! It is here and it cleared the mirror!

I did put the camera in sensor clean mode with the mirror up first to be safe(r) and when after turning off and on there were no strange clanks, shot a couple of pics. All OK so far!

Will do some (kind of) serious testing shortly and report. In the meantime, here's a pic of the beast itself (it is the size of A*85/1.4 and heavier!):

11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's some serious lens p0rn

Glad it worked. How much did you pay?
Did you do the K mount conversion or did you find it in K mount?
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I just converted it using Leitax mount and instructions (works like Summilux 50mm and no sawing/filing required). An average person would take about 5-10 minutes to do this.
(I took about 20). But luckily this time I didn't drop my tiny little screwdriver on the rear element (which I did with my first Leitax conversion and amazingly it didn't damage it!)

As for the price I'd rather not say at this stage. But as you can tell it's well used and so it was cheaper than the typical $2300 mark. But I did get a nice Heliopan UV filter with it.

11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
An average person would take about 5-10 minutes to do this.
(I took about 20)..
So, you're above average!

For the price, I can understand you don't want to disclose. But thank you for giving me some indication. So, R glass must be of similiar quality to M glass.

I'll watch out for it. Being in Germany, I may run into the occasional ... occasion :ugh:
Just around the corner is a retail store which has a used glass department with plenty of Leica glass...
11-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, you're above average!

For the price, I can understand you don't want to disclose. But thank you for giving me some indication. So, R glass must be of similiar quality to M glass.

I'll watch out for it. Being in Germany, I may run into the occasional ... occasion :ugh:
Just around the corner is a retail store which has a used glass department with plenty of Leica glass...
I imagine in Germany there is a lot more Leica to be found, so good luck with your bargain hunt!

As for R to M comparisons, from what I've read over the past few months, Summilux-R 35mm compared very well even to the more modern aspherical M-version (according to Leica guru Erwin Puts). As for other older glass it varies, Summilux-R 50mm is left behind by the aspherical M glass as is the Summicron-R 90mm (although some people prefer the dreaminess and rendition of the older version). This you understand is just from reading. I've never owned M lenses and only owned R lenses for a few months.