Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
You missed the word EVER. It's not really a people lens so it shouldn't be a big factor. ...... snipped.....
And instead of cropping a lot of my photos I'll instead be able to use a panoramic program. Though I'm still undecided tbh. Because both are great lenses.
I did miss that slight nuance.

I also don't own either lens but am in the same predicament (or LBA) as the OP. Should I get DA21? ... oh wait, the DA15 looks good too. oh, wait, thats $$$ for both of them.

11-12-2010, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
The 21 is to close to 15 for my taste and buying it would interfear with my use of the 15. The 40 seems to long, but im not sure. The 35 Ltd seems so very macro made. The 35 2,4 seems to be made more for normal shooting, but it lacks the build i want. So im stuck to
I shared the same dilema, questions, and confusion. I ended up getting all 3. I find that I use the 21 and 40 more than the 15, but the 40 gets the most use for general street walking.

If I go to a car show for example, than the 15 and 21 get the most use and the 40 sits idle.

This past weekend, we had a huge motorcycle rally here in town. I read in the local news this morning that there were 400,000 motorcycles here on the island. I spent 4 days at the rally with bikes packed in so close that you had trouble walking through most area's. The 40 got the most use for both motorcycles and people.

To those that say the 15 and 21 are so close in focal length that it's pointless to get both.... Use the one of them for a while, then switch to the other. You will notice a significant difference that will then show you that both have their advantages. There will be times when you want to use the 15 and other times when you feel the 21 is more suitable. I am not referring to using the 15 and just stepping closer to the subject to make up for the 21. Or using the 21 and stepping back further away from your subject to constitute not having the 15. I guess it's whatever suits your needs and interests. I find a use for both of them.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 11-12-2010 at 11:54 AM.
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I am not referring to using the 15 and just stepping closer to the subject to make up for the 21. Or using the 21 and stepping back further away from your subject to constitute not having the 15. I guess it's whatever suits your needs and interests. I find a use for both of them.
I agree... with a focal length that wide, standing so close to your subject so that they fill the frame the same as the 21 would introduce MASSIVE distortion. However, if you stood further back, such that you could crop the image to produce the same image as the 21 (- 45% of the resolution!) then you would be able to achieve similar results. This is not a solution that most people would find ideal, especially if they prefer the look of the 21 over the 15. However, if you can only own one, and want both, I see the 15 being a reasonable compromise. In the next few years I will be able to fill in the gap .

You make a good point that they are very useful together. I would even suggest that the difference between the 15 and 21 would be as noticeable as the difference between the 40 and the 70.

Thanks for the input!
11-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #34

I'm glad you started this thread because I am in a similar position. I'm ready to get my first limited, and the only one I've ruled out is the 40mm. That is just too awkward for me.

I like the versatility of the 35 macro; but looking through my photos, I seldom use that FL with my kit zoom.

21mm is more what I use the most, but I am a little concerned about the reports of very bad barrel distortion. I can correct that in PP, but it's an extra step.

The 70mm seems to be the biggest improvement in convenience, since it is MUCH smaller than my 55-300.

But (and here's why I'm posting) I have had the 15mm on my wish list ever since I began seeing the posts of moving_comfort on the other Pentax forum. The shots he posts from this lens are absolutely amazing. And they are just what you are asking for -- shots of people in the context of landscapes. I'm not sure if this will get blocked or not (given the jouvenile war which exists between the masters of the two forums), but I'll give it a shot. If it does get blocked, search for a post called "Why the DA15 ltd is better than any Nikon lens ever made" on the DPReview Pentax forum. Just replace the word DOT with an actual dot, and copy it to your URL bar.
http://forums.dpreview DOT com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=35340343

Like I said, I'm still wavering. But I hope that thread will at least help you make a decision.