Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
? about odd 35-70 f2.8 AF from Pentax

Ran across this autofocus lens and can't find anything in the database about it. I think its one of the first Pentax AF lenses but am not sure. Just curious about it since it appears not to be in the database. Thanks.

11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

It's in the database all right, under "Non SMC and other Pentax Zooms" This is a special purpouse lens, made to be paired with the ME F, which is the only camera it will autofocus with, and vice versa. it's an interesting collectr's item, but the AF is slow and inaccurate and the MF is cumbersome with the tiny MF ring.
11-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will second what Super-A said. Still the image quality of very very good if you manage to focus correctly. If you can have it cheap, it is worth playing with, I think.
11-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Super A-wesome Quote
It's in the database all right, under "Non SMC and other Pentax Zooms" This is a special purpouse lens, made to be paired with the ME F, which is the only camera it will autofocus with, and vice versa. it's an interesting collectr's item, but the AF is slow and inaccurate and the MF is cumbersome with the tiny MF ring.
Thanks, just plain did not occur to me to look in the Non SMC as it says its an SMC lens Just caught my eye and seemed odd to me. If it really only works on one body then why would someone buy it these days?

11-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, just plain did not occur to me to look in the Non SMC as it says its an SMC lens Just caught my eye and seemed odd to me. If it really only works on one body then why would someone buy it these days?
It is ironic for a SMC lens to be in the non-SMC section. That said, the optics on this lens is actually quite good and relatively fast for a zoom. It is something of a pita to manual focus. It only works in af on a working ME F body which is essentially an ME Super with a unique AF system that makes this lens not compatible with later af bodies.
11-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

It almost seems from the photo that there has to be a way to strip that AF motor off of there and rig the belt (if that's what it is) as a grip for a normal MF lens. No? Yes?

11-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Converting a leica lens already taxes my technical abilities to the max. I am afraid I cannot help you, Jeff!

11-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It almost seems from the photo that there has to be a way to strip that AF motor off of there and rig the belt (if that's what it is) as a grip for a normal MF lens. No? Yes?

It's been done but is considered ugly and blasphemous.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43371-unique-s...-70-2-8-a.html (Pictures gone but text contains enough gory details)
11-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Inactive Account

No, I'm not interested in ever doing it (not speaking for the OP however) or owning the lens.. I just thought from the look of the photo it wouldn't be impossible.

11-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've now read some threads found through Google that make it clear that the optics are really good in this lens and the f is constant because of the odd camera arrangement. Essentially the first AF slr for Pentax from what I can tell. The manual focus is a Pita as has been pointed out because it rotates so very little for the entire range and is small.

Thanks for the information on a rather odd duck of a lens.