Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A lens for weddings...

Hello, someone asked me about taking the pictures of their wedding. I am thrilled and I would love to, but I don't think I have the right lens or lenses in my arsenal to the task justice.

For the shots that are in the earlier part of the day, I think the kit lens can suffice, but I don't think it will for all spects of the shoot.

The lenses I am thinking of are the sigma 17 - 70, the tamron 28 - 75 and the pentax 28 - 105 f3.2 - 4.5

these are the lenses I think I can afford, and I am looking at the zooms as well to limit changing lenses too much during the shoot.

Any comments suggestions as to my choices?

If you agree with my choices, which one would you choose?

and if you don't agree, what do you suggest?

by the way I love the 50 - 200 and its ability to take great candids, but it may be too slow and too long for general use in an evening/ night wedding.

Thanks

D

09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot a wedding many years ago for a friend, and swore never again.

Having said that the photo's came out all right.

I used 3 lenses, on 2 bodies, a 24mm for the group shots, and a 50mm and 100mm for closer shots.

used fill flash to cut harsh sunlight shadows.

In today's world with a DSLR, the 17-70 would be the best bet, and roughtly the same as my collection 20 years ago
09-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 28-75/2.8 is the perfect wedding lens. The only possible complaint is that it doesn't go wide enough, but the constant f/2.8 is unbeatable and is hands down better than the other two lenses you mentioned for the task.
09-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
The Tamron 28-75/2.8 is the perfect wedding lens. The only possible complaint is that it doesn't go wide enough, but the constant f/2.8 is unbeatable and is hands down better than the other two lenses you mentioned for the task.
Agreed on all counts. It was my lens of choice for nearly everything at the wedding reception shoot I did in August. Tough little lens, and sharp images.

Regards,
Marc

09-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Dudlew

I am categorically NOT a wedding photographer, but here are some images I took at my niece's marriage a few days ago with my K10D & Tamron 18-250mm Di II zoom lens, so see what you make of them, although please bear in mind that these photos have been seriously compressed to meet with forum requirements !!!! Incidentally, the middle of this trio was taken using the in-built pop-up flash, which I feel is quite acceptable !

Best regards
Richard
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo     

Last edited by Confused; 09-19-2007 at 07:00 PM.
09-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not a easy question .... and so many people will have so many different lenses of choice for weddings.

I wil be taking my 18-55mm along with my this weekend to a friend's wedding (I am not the photographer for the day ... but will be taking photos and learning for my own).

BUT ... I am hoping to pick up my FA50 f/1.4 tomorrow for a shop that is getting one in this afternoon (fingers crossed) ... gives me little time to play with the lens and get used to it ... but it will be a challenge though ... and am looking forward to it.

I am hoping to have some salvageable photos ... hee hee.

Oh ... a good flash is needed (that is something I do not have yet)
09-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've shot two weddings before, and I used FA31 almost during the whole
sessions. Only used DA14 a couple of times for big group shots. If there is
room, even FA31 is good enough for group shots like this:

Ds+FA31 with ceiling bounce flash.

There is another wedding coming before the X'mas, my plan is to bring two
cameras, one w/ FA31, and the other w/ FA*85. Will take a DA14, and
probably the Sigma 1770 as well just in case I need them ...

I had the Tamron 28-75/2.8 before, a very nice lens indeed. Should be good
enough for most case. But for indoor w/o flash, it can't beat a fast prime lens.

09-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My boss shoots weddings for our company and uses an *ist DS and the 18-55 exclusively and no one seems to complain about her photography. I would say that the person behind the camera matters more than the camera itself. That being said, a fast lens with a good flash makes it a whole lot easier. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling provides more natural looking lighting than direct flash, as Frank has demonstrated wonderfully.

Good luck!
09-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If i could afford a FA31 LTD ... I'd be using one of those ... hee hee.
Bit too steep for me to purchase though.