Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Questions about Ricoh lens with fungi

I have a very old K-mount Ricoh Rikenon 50mm f/2 lens (no Ricoh pin, completely manual) that has fungi in it. I have a number of questions about it:
  • Will mounting it create a risk of fungi on other lenses?
  • How do I safely clean it?
The lens appears to be useable, but I am concerned about the fungi. Any info?

Edit: Attachment deleted

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-26-2010 at 08:52 PM.
11-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lens with fungus will not "infect" another lens. Fungus will grow in any lens given the right conditions (darkness & moisture).

This lens alone is not really worth investing in the tools needed to open it, but if you plan on buying more old lenses if the future it might be worth it. You will need something to open the lens from the front and a JIS screwdriver set.

Lens Ring Tool Set

Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Steel

This page recommends a fungus treatment of 94% distilled water, 4% clear ammonia, and 2% hydrogen peroxide. Personally I just use diluted hydrogen peroxide I purchase at the drug store.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
11-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is it safe to mount this lens?

--DragonLord
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The fungus should stay on the infected elements. It should be safe. The fungus would only spread if spores from the fungus landed on a wet surface inside your camera (!) at which point you would have bigger things to worry about.

11-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's my take on fungus:
Get rid of any equipment that is infected unless it is worth having the equipment completely stripped and cleaned.
Consider, if fungus on one lens won't infect a different one, how did your lens acquire it in the first place?
Spores can drop out of your lens into your camera during use and be transferred to another lens fairly easily.
That lens is a dime a dozen cheap, trash it, forget it and move on.
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some say that fungus spores are everywhere and will grow in lenses that are not properly stored - dark, damp, and with poor ventilation:

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A lens with fungus will not "infect" another lens. Fungus will grow in any lens given the right conditions (darkness & moisture).

This lens alone is not really worth investing in the tools needed to open it, but if you plan on buying more old lenses if the future it might be worth it. You will need something to open the lens from the front and a JIS screwdriver set.

Lens Ring Tool Set

Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Steel

This page recommends a fungus treatment of 94% distilled water, 4% clear ammonia, and 2% hydrogen peroxide. Personally I just use diluted hydrogen peroxide I purchase at the drug store.
Others say that fungi will spread across photographic equipment and that repair shops often do not accept such equipment for repairs because of this risk (even Carl Zeiss does not - see Carl Zeiss camera lenses service info: fungus on lenses).

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Here's my take on fungus:
Get rid of any equipment that is infected unless it is worth having the equipment completely stripped and cleaned.
Consider, if fungus on one lens won't infect a different one, how did your lens acquire it in the first place?
Spores can drop out of your lens into your camera during use and be transferred to another lens fairly easily.
That lens is a dime a dozen cheap, trash it, forget it and move on.
I would like to have an expert opinion about this - preferably from the likes of Adam, Ole, creampuff, or falconeye (Falk Lumo) - as there does not appear to be any consensus on this topic.

--DragonLord
11-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Is it safe to mount this lens?

--DragonLord
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html
11-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The OP is asking if the lens is safe to mount because it has fungus, he states that it is a pre-Ricoh pin lens.

11-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote

Others say that fungi will spread across photographic equipment and that repair shops often do not accept such equipment for repairs because of this risk (even Carl Zeiss does not - see Carl Zeiss camera lenses service info: fungus on lenses).

I would like to have an expert opinion about this - preferably from the likes of Adam, Ole, creampuff, or falconeye (Falk Lumo) - as there does not appear to be any consensus on this topic.

--DragonLord
Well, if repair shops, especially Zeiss themselves won't accept fungus infected lenses for repair, I suspect you have already got your expert opinion.
My opinion is only based on about 40 years of experience in the field of photography, so take from that what you will.
Don't mistake an acerbic personality for a lack of knowledge.
11-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if repair shops, especially Zeiss themselves won't accept fungus infected lenses for repair, I suspect you have already got your expert opinion.
My opinion is only based on about 40 years of experience in the field of photography, so take from that what you will.
They are lens experts, not experts in mycology. Just because they believe that it can spread from lens to lens doesn't make it true. They can do irrational things just like any other person or organization.

You can't clean any surface enough to remove all of the fungus that surrounds us. All you can do is make the conditions unfavorable for growth.
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm making this statement because I've seen conflicting opinions from various sources on the Internet, not because I oppose any one statement.

--DragonLord
11-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump: I'd like to see an expert opinion on this topic...

--DragonLord