Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this page is not aimed at people who know what's what. We're simply not the target audience here.

11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The DA 40 Limited is a gem of a lens that's either mounted on my camera or always close at hand in the camera bag.....I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

The only area which I could think of as a bit "difficult" is manual focus, because of the limited focus throw and the narrow focus ring - its a really compact pancake, after all.
I use it almost exclusively with AF.
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

moving to the Lens forum.
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #19

I would have thought that the more advanced a user was the more likely they could deal with any particular lens shortcomings.

As for the DA40 - it's a great lens. Manual focus is not really all that bad (considering that it's an AF lens and considering the focusing screens on our dSLR's). If you want manual focus most of the time there are others lenses to consider. I actually really like the quick shift focus feature (or whatever it is called).

11-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn't must left to hold when you're using the 40mm- so people who are comfortable with/used to larger lenses could see the da pancake as simply too small!

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I think this page is not aimed at people who know what's what. We're simply not the target audience here.
Yeah- that page is for people who haven't had much experience with the Pentax system or photography in general.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used mine on my super program - works fine! Thank goodness I am not too advanced.
11-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've never had any problems with the DA40.

11-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is clear that you all are intermediate photographers. Someday you will be able to see clearly what this reviewer is talking about.
11-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One minor issue with the DA40 that is not mentioned is that it is one of the chirpier lenses while autofocusing. (A reason why you need to fiddle with that thin focus ring) Its sound from my camera drew all eyes at an outdoor wedding a couple of years ago, and I promptly sought the DA17-70 with SDM for the next wedding.
11-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
I am a 'beginner' and I absolutely love the da 40. Some of the pictures I have taken with that lens are absolutely amazing. It is a great walk around lens.
11-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #26

btw, what's the use-case of the DA40 in your case?
11-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One minor issue with the DA40 that is not mentioned is that it is one of the chirpier lenses while autofocusing. (A reason why you need to fiddle with that thin focus ring) Its sound from my camera drew all eyes at an outdoor wedding a couple of years ago, and I promptly sought the DA17-70 with SDM for the next wedding.
All the sudden, I had that noisy problem too, but with a DA 21mm, send it in for repair and all was good again.
11-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There isn't must left to hold when you're using the 40mm- so people who are comfortable with/used to larger lenses could see the da pancake as simply too small!

Yeah- that page is for people who haven't had much experience with the Pentax system or photography in general.
To be fair, why don't you change the write-up to just say something like this...?

"There isn't must left to hold when you're using the 40mm- so people who are comfortable with/used to larger lenses sometimes need to adjust the way they hold their camera to get the best results."

I do and it works fine for me.

Cheers...