Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

AF speed of FA Limiteds on K-5?

I know (from experience) that the FA43 & FA77 (and to a lesser degree, the FA31) are among the slowest focusing lenses in Pentax's line-up. I've also heard that the AF speed with the K-5 is vastly improved.

Since AF speed is important to me, I'd love to hear from anyone that has these lenses and a K-5. I imagine they are still slower to focus than DA lenses like the 40/2.8 and 70/2.4, simply due to mechanics. But I'm hoping the AF is significantly better than it is on, say, the K-x.

What's your experience?

11-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I know (from experience) that the FA43 & FA77 (and to a lesser degree, the FA31) are among the slowest focusing lenses in Pentax's line-up. I've also heard that the AF speed with the K-5 is vastly improved.

Since AF speed is important to me, I'd love to hear from anyone that has these lenses and a K-5. I imagine they are still slower to focus than DA lenses like the 40/2.8 and 70/2.4, simply due to mechanics. But I'm hoping the AF is significantly better than it is on, say, the K-x.

What's your experience?
The AF is improved on the K5, primarily in terms of quickness to lock and less hesitation and "micro-corrections" right before locking. The 31 and 77 (sold my 43 before buying the K5) seem more confident and quick on the K5, but I can't really quantify the difference for you. The DA40 is quicker than both, but as you said that is probably always going to be the case regardless of improvements to the body/AF system.