Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
two words:

Autofocus Accuracy
That's one way to summarize what I wrote.

11-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
See title. I would think it would be a popular lens... maybe even a good limited?
there are a lot of lenses they don't make any more, not just the 50/1.2

I think it does not fit in their roadmap, which seems to be targeting for better or worse, making mainstream lenses with equivelent FOV to the 35mm lenses for film in the past.

As a result we have
- a 55/1.4 not an 85,
- a 200/2.8 not a 300/2.8,
- a 16-50F2.8 not 28-70F2.8,
- a50-135F2.8 not 70-200F2.8,
- a 10-17mm fisheye zoom, not a 17-28mm fisheye,

the list goes on and on like this. Clearly pentax is targeting the popular field of view combinations from the past. That is fine, but for some shooters who like the narrower ASP-C field of view, especially at the telephoto end, it has us going elsewhere.

Now what this really means is that if you want a 50F1.2 then you really would like a 35mmF1.2, and the only offering presently from pentax is a 35F2.4.

the 35F2.4 will be a good lens, just not with the super narrow DOF that the 50F1.2 had
11-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Now what this really means is that if you want a 50F1.2 then you really would like a 35mmF1.2, and the only offering presently from pentax is a 35F2.4. the 35F2.4 will be a good lens, just not with the super narrow DOF that the 50F1.2 had
I figured that an f1.2 lens would be a valuable addition, no matter the focal length. There just seems to be a sweet spot at 50mm for fast lenses (I don't understand why) in that they tend to be less expensive than a fast wide angle / tele. I was just curious. The big guns make their super-fast glass, but at prices I would never ever pay. It was a more academic question. The issue of autofocus is interesting.

I don't really want a 1.2 50 or 1.2 35 personally, but if I was going to purchase a super-fast lens like that, I would likely prefer the 50's fov over the 35 for DOF considerations.
11-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I figured that an f1.2 lens would be a valuable addition, no matter the focal length. There just seems to be a sweet spot at 50mm for fast lenses (I don't understand why) in that they tend to be less expensive than a fast wide angle / tele. I was just curious. The big guns make their super-fast glass, but at prices I would never ever pay. It was a more academic question. The issue of autofocus is interesting.

I don't really want a 1.2 50 or 1.2 35 personally, but if I was going to purchase a super-fast lens like that, I would likely prefer the 50's fov over the 35 for DOF considerations.
the "sweet spot" is really a simple matter of optics. when you consider the system regestry distance of 46mm (lens mount to sensor) lenses in the range of 40mm and up begin to be relitively simple because you are no longer attempting to have the lens at a distance greater than the desired focal length. Just look at the number of elements in wide angle lenses, to stretch the optical path so that the lens focuses at infinity but is further away from the focusing plain than the effective focal length.

while some might agree that a 50F1.2 is a nice lens, it is awfully big, it is a lot of glass, and it is hard to get the image quality wide open. Newer optical glass formulas may help, and it would be interesting, but where is the market?

11-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
where is the market?
Likely very small. I must say, I don't miss the stop on my DA 40 at all compared to the Canon EF 35 2.0. Both cost us the exact same price and the speed difference between them is one of the last things I notice.
11-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter

There is no market really, users of the 50 f1.2 probably belong to an extreme faction. For the typical user (non enthusiast) they would just look at the non AF and walk away, if fact 95% would pass over it because it is not a zoom! In worldwide terms you have 1% of 5% of the dslr lens upgrade market. And while there are a lot of people saying they would buy one instantly if available, how many actually would at say €1500 for example?
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
There is no market really, users of the 50 f1.2 probably belong to an extreme faction. For the typical user (non enthusiast) they would just look at the non AF and walk away, if fact 95% would pass over it because it is not a zoom! In worldwide terms you have 1% of 5% of the dslr lens upgrade market. And while there are a lot of people saying they would buy one instantly if available, how many actually would at say 1500 for example?
Did you just call me part of an "extreme faction?" wowcb Does that mean DHS is stalking me?
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Yeah I did, got a problem with that?
Yeah the dhs have u in a list as soon as you move away from your first kit lens. In fact thinking about it, they probably have you in a deviant photographer section, you don't use one of the big 2, you have primes and some of them don't even function automatically!

11-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Yeah I did, got a problem with that?
Yeah the dhs have u in a list as soon as you move away from your first kit lens. In fact thinking about it, they probably have you in a deviant photographer section, you don't use one of the big 2, you have primes and some of them don't even function automatically!
. . . hiding my Cold War Era Soviet lens now . . .
11-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
. . . hiding my Cold War Era Soviet lens now . . .
Good thing it's not a yellowing SMC Takumar ....