Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

sand on the front element of my tamron 17-50mm...

hi folks,

i hope im not re-visiting old ground by asking this, i did a quick forum search and didnt find the answer... so:

i just came in from a walkabout with my new tamron 17-50mm by the sea and realised that my front element now has tiny specs on it. rookie error i know, but i thought i was far enough away from the sand and water to be safe. apparently not so.

* i wanted to keep my hoya uv off the front of it as i was shooting under streetlights and it would mess my image quality.

anyhoo. i guess that its grains of sand on the element (or salt? i dont know). ive heard not to try and wipe it off if its sand as it will scratch my lens. i suppose i should try a blower when i get home tomorrow night? any other tips on what i can do to rectify the situation?

thanks in advance

11-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #2

it is more likely to be salt than sand. My solution to this would be to breath on the front element to mist it up, then wipe very gently with a soft T-shirt. This has been my cleaning regime for years and has never resulted in any cleaning marks. Hope this helps.
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to agree with Keith: highly unlikely it is sand. Much more likely to be spray/mist of the sea water which has dried upon the lens. First blow off any amounts of it you can with a Rocket Blower. Then, as Keith said, breathe some water vapor onto the lens and gently wipe with a very clean and very soft cloth (I use a lens cloth).

Sand is generally too heavy to adhere. to the glass, in the conditions you describe.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 11-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
11-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I prefer to wipe everything with a clean damp cotton cloth after a visit to the beach, even the front glass.

11-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, all. ive been putting off cleaning it for fear of scratching the element but i think tonight ill bite the bullet and do it.
11-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I keep a camel hair brush around for the very rare occasions when I decide that I need to clean a lens "properly".
This only happens every few years.
Anyway, I use the brush o knock off any actual dirt particles that have stuck themselves on, and then I "wet clean" the glass (breath and cotton, more recently breath and microfiber).