Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 or Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX HSM?

I plan on getting both of these at some point in the future, as well as a few other pieces of Sigma glass, but I am unsure which to upgrade.

If I get the K5, I'll probably get the kit lens since it is WR and will hold me over till I can afford the Sigma. At the same time, I really wish the kit lens was faster.

Currently I am shooting on a K100D (so HSM wouldn't work on the Sigma if I got that first, but I want the HSM for when I do upgrade the body) and my fastest lens is a 50mm 1.7, followed by my kit lens.

I know there is a whole lot of advice saying the glass is more important than the body, but I am really feeling like after 4 years with my K100 I have tapped it to it's fullest potential.

Also with the high ISO capabilities of the K5, I would theoretically be able to shoot higher shutter speeds in the same light with the kit lens than I could with my K100D and the kit lens.

I am just trying to get a feel for what would be the correct thing to do, but I am really leaning towards the body.

Anyone else have suggestions?

11-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you finding yourself limited by the K100D? Do you find yourself shooting in dark situations where the high ISO capabilities would be welcome, or wishing you had more DR (well...who of us doesn't feel that way sometimes...but I digress).

I felt that upgrading from the K100D to the K20D was a good move for me when I did it, and the K-5 looks like it can blow away the K20D, so you would certainly be benefitting from several generations of improvements.

On the other hand, glass is good no matter which body you put it on. It's also going to stay fairly consistent pricewise. The K-5 will be pricey for awhile while it's new. If you got the lens now and played with it on your K100D for awhile, the K-5 should drop in price a little bit by the time you're ready to pick it up.

Good luck with your decision!
11-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would go for the body, although I would advice you to wait til next year when the camera would have a significant price drop. I would guess it would cost at $900 by March depending on what the competition has to offer.
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5, K-5, K-5.
There are leagues of improvements from the K100D, and the more professional features of the K-5 (and enhanced performance) will leave you impressed - you'll have A LOT of high ISO headroom so getting the kit lens will not be a big problem in low-light conditions - it'll only limit you a little with trying to get the thin DoF shots you may want to capture.

11-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buy the K5.
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That seems like an awful steep price drop... Either way though it should drop.

As for GhoSStrider, I am finding myself wishing I had better ISO quality, as mine is pretty much unusable outside of 400, I don't like to process the noise because of the reduction in sharpness. I DEFINITELY wish I had more DR and faster AF (especially this... I cannot count how many shots I have missed because of hunting, and in broad daylight!)

Ash, thats pretty much what I was thinking too. I have my 50mm 1.7 for any thin DOF work too since I don't do a whole lot of stuff where I need a thin DOF and wouldn't have time to MF.

Now all I need is the funds for the K5... By then they might have a new camera out lol
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Good glass is worth every penny...

At present I would encourage to go for the glass if you have the cash and want to invest. A good lens will drastically improve the IQ of your photograhs. For example, with the K-7, I can take excellent shots in low ligh conditions, thanks to an excellent large aperture lens, even if the K-7 is too often "bashed" for noise at high ISO.

Pentaxor is correct: the K-5 is expensive and you would be best to wait 6 months for the proce to settle down.

Either you wait for both lens or bosy, or go for the lens.

11-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
mine is pretty much unusable outside of 400,
K100D CCD unusable outside of ISO 400?. OK.
Get the 5. I went from K100D to K7, a huge difference.
11-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe not unusable at 800, but definitely not print quality for clients without some post (which as I mentioned I'm not crazy about due to the softening effects it has on the edges. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? lol). Anything past 800 is a joke though if you are printing.
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if you can't wait that long, you could always get a K-r or even a K-x - not too bad to ISO 1600 for prints - and I'm sure ISO 3200 isn't unacceptable to a decent print size.
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I could, but if there is one thing I have learned in photography it's that you may as well get the best when you get it. Otherwise you end up paying for something twice. My telephoto lens is a perfect example. I compromised, never loved the thing because it doesn't do what I ideally wanted it to, and now I will eventually replace it when I could have bought the better one in the first place. Since I have no desperate immediate need for the camera, I may as well wait till the price drops and get what I really want. Maybe black Friday will be nice to me this year lol
11-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well that's just patience trumping desires right there.
The K-5 is well worth the wait.
11-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another vote for the body. Specifically because the 24-70 HSM not only can't use HSM, as you say, but won't autofocus at all on the K100D*. I'd say that'd be too big of a compromise for me for such an expensive lens, but not sure what kind of shooting you do and if you're just looking for optical performance.

Then again, it could really motivate you to save up for the body!

I went from a K100D to a K20D and it was just so much more responsive. The K-7 was another leap, and the K-5 has a lot of the quibbles worked out, plus an incredible sensor.

Good luck with the decision!

* I wasn't sure so I looked it up here:
Sigma AF 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Zoom Lens for Pentax DSLR Lenses Full Frame EX2470DGHP - Vistek Canada Product Specs
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I am also a proponent of glass; however, everyone pushing it needs to realize that it will be crippled on the K100d. What good is having HSM when you can't use it? Buy the K5.

Secondly, I agree with appreciation in value of glass; however, from what I've seen that doesn't apply nearly as much to third party manufacturers. Tamron and Sigma does not appear to hold it's value nearly as well as a genuine Pentax lens.
11-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See I would rather buy genuine Pentax glass, but their 17-70 is 1:4, and that is just way too slow for me, both because of DOF reasons as well as not wanting to pump the ISO. Any other suggestions for Pentax glass? I would like something with 70 at the long end and anywhere between 16 to 28 on the low end. My goal is to cover 24-200 with constant 1:2.8 between 2 lenses, and until Pentax can meet that I'll probably stick with Sigma, as they seem to be higher quality than Tamron in my experience.