Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Teleconverters

Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since my last thread. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the K5. My question is- Has anyone heard about any Pentax teleconverters to be announced anytime in the near future? I am eager to upgrade and get a DA 300 f/4 for wildlife, but if a TC is just wishful thinking I may jump ship and head to Nikon - but ...ooooooH the K5 feels sooooo.... good in my hands and the high ISO's are so beautiful. The DA 300 would be wonderful to use...

John

11-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From everything I've read and from what I can infer, I wouldn't hold your breath for a Pentax TC anytime soon.
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can buy the legendary SMC AF 1.7x Teleconverter from this guy here in the marketplace(NIB).
They appear quite often in fact and at a great price!

FTR. I have not found it anywhere else in stores to date.
PS. this is the most amazing rear mount TC in the world IMO.

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
11-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Wiggs Quote
Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since my last thread. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the K5. My question is- Has anyone heard about any Pentax teleconverters to be announced anytime in the near future? I am eager to upgrade and get a DA 300 f/4 for wildlife, but if a TC is just wishful thinking I may jump ship and head to Nikon - but ...ooooooH the K5 feels sooooo.... good in my hands and the high ISO's are so beautiful. The DA 300 would be wonderful to use...

John
John,

I do own and use a lot the DA*300/4 and often enough with the Pentax 1.7X "adapter".
I find the combo very good, very sharp, and the magic of this TC (adapter) is understated.

JohnBee is showing a link up above ... go check this out.

I am getting the K5 and just can't wait to use it with the DA*300/4 and this TC.!

Cheers.

JP

11-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Wiggs Quote
Hello everyone,

John
I will reiterate everyone else's recommendation of the AFA 1.7X AF convertor. Check on my Flickr site for a walk about I did, specifically to test out the 1.7X with my DA* 50-135. I even have a Bird In Flight shot in there! All sizes are open to view and download. This is one of the shots:

11-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I agree about the F 1.7x AF adapter. I don't expect any other TCs from Pentax soon, but it should fit the bill, and is apparently currently in production in Asia. And the Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S and 2x-S are good too, if you want those conversion factors.

If you like to shoot hand-held, consider that you'll want some form of SR on whatever system you're using. What's nice about the F 1.7x AF adapter, compared to third-party adapters (assuming you can even get adequate IQ out of them) is that when using an F or newer lens, it automatically adjusts both the FL (important for SR) and the aperture to the true values. The third party adapters with all the contacts just "pass-through" the (now incorrect) FL, and then the K-5 (or K-x or any other body I've used) won't let you change it, so SR doesn't work well.

If you can do with MF, the A-series TCs have nice IQ - and, being A-series, allow you to manually input the correct FL. I sold my Tamron 1.4x TC and got the A-S 1.4x TC for this reason, plus my preference for the IQ. I don't have the A-S 2x TC, but based on the 1.4x and what I've read, I'm considering it too. I've read the A-L converters are supposed to be even slightly better, but the A-S TCs are still pretty good. Unfortunately, the A-L TCs reportedly won't fit the DA*300/4 (which is a nice lens, BTW).
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I agree about the F 1.7x AF adapter. I don't expect any other TCs from Pentax soon, but it should fit the bill, and is apparently currently in production in Asia. And the Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S and 2x-S are good too, if you want those conversion factors.

If you like to shoot hand-held, consider that you'll want some form of SR on whatever system you're using. What's nice about the F 1.7x AF adapter, compared to third-party adapters (assuming you can even get adequate IQ out of them) is that when using an F or newer lens, it automatically adjusts both the FL (important for SR) and the aperture to the true values. The third party adapters with all the contacts just "pass-through" the (now incorrect) FL, and then the K-5 (or K-x or any other body I've used) won't let you change it, so SR doesn't work well.

If you can do with MF, the A-series TCs have nice IQ - and, being A-series, allow you to manually input the correct FL. I sold my Tamron 1.4x TC and got the A-S 1.4x TC for this reason, plus my preference for the IQ. I don't have the A-S 2x TC, but based on the 1.4x and what I've read, I'm considering it too. I've read the A-L converters are supposed to be even slightly better, but the A-S TCs are still pretty good. Unfortunately, the A-L TCs reportedly won't fit the DA*300/4 (which is a nice lens, BTW).
I find that with my M 400/5.6 I get better results with the A 1.4X-S than with the AFA 1.7X AF. I'm still working to find out if it is technique or incompatibility.
11-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I find that with my M 400/5.6 I get better results with the A 1.4X-S than with the AFA 1.7X AF. I'm still working to find out if it is technique or incompatibility.
I think the 1.7x is at the limit of being able to focus on an F5.6 lens. Also a 1.4 x gives you a half stop in speed and that can out weigh total magnification

11-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the 1.7x is at the limit of being able to focus on an F5.6 lens. Also a 1.4 x gives you a half stop in speed and that can out weigh total magnification
I was actually referring to image quality, rather than the ability to focus. I use the M 400 in manual focus exclusively. The image is a bit soft, but I am not sure if it is me focusing inaccurately because of the darkish stop, and the lighting in which one usually ends up using a bird lens, or if there is actually motion affecting the image.