Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You basically have to ignore the prices in that section, for the older lenses anyway.

Most of the reviews are old, and the prices have skyrocketed over the last 6 months.

For example, I paid around 35 bucks for my Super-Tak 50 1.4 a year ago, and that was an average price.

Now, you're lucky to get one for under $100.
Any reason they sky rocketed? K-X? But anyways, the averaged price in the lens section has been correct for me so far, I only bought 2 lenses though so far, the Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 for 75 and Vivitar Series one 70-210 3.5 for 85...I am done for now besides a kit lens and a wide angle a bit down the road which will both be newer models...

11-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
Just a suggestion, rather than having the simple mean as the average price in the review section, what about ...
There's a forum section for suggestions that can actually lead to changes if Adam sees merit; but the posts need to be made there to ensure they are seen.
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
While we are at it, using the median for the score of a lens would be a great idea. It really is silly that one person can score a lens with a 2 or a 3 when mostly everyone else in the scoring is giving 9s--but this happens, often. Also, it seems these very low scores are often submitted by people with very few posts.

Using the median here would be a great idea. The mean is unduly affected by the extremeley low scores in the lens database.
Agreed.
+1!
11-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote
Agreed.
+1!
+2

I tend to skip by lower scored ones out of habit, probably missing some nice lenses...I should stop that haha.

11-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Though it is better to use medians, using a median for scores would cause a bigger improvement than for price. Scores are subjective and an outlying score can be simply the result of the mood of one person. Prices are fairly objective, and the reasons for price variances are complex. As other sites have jokingly noted, Pentax users tend to keep lenses they have had for a very long time. This skews average or median prices all to heck.
11-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont think any regular ebay user would rely on the forum for pricing information thanks to the obvious opportunity to abuse the price history to influence opinion. I was just really voicing this obvious short coming having seen a moron place a price in the history for the m 1.4/50 when he didnt own it and hadnt bought it
11-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 medians for price and score (or maybe both averages and medians, the added computational strain would seem minimal as the required database pages should be in cache).