Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Second DA* 16-50

Picked up my second DA* 16-50 yesterday. What a world of difference from my first sample. The images were extremely sharp and the color was excellent. Itís hard for me to believe that Pentax allowed the first batch to be shipped to the dealer. The excuse given by the Pentax Rep to the dealer was that the first batch of lens was calibrated by hand and the second batch was calibrated by laser. The second sample is everything I had expected from Pentax

09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #2

Another satisfied customer!

Nice to hear good things about this lens as well.
09-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another reason not to buy version 1 of anything....
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Picked up my second DA* 16-50 yesterday. What a world of difference from my first sample. The images were extremely sharp and the color was excellent. Itís hard for me to believe that Pentax allowed the first batch to be shipped to the dealer. The excuse given by the Pentax Rep to the dealer was that the first batch of lens was calibrated by hand and the second batch was calibrated by laser. The second sample is everything I had expected from Pentax
Thanks for the post - hope to see some photos soon! I canceled my order for this lens on reading the back-focus issues other members were having - now I might reconsider...

09-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The excuse given by the Pentax Rep to the dealer was that the first batch of lens was calibrated by hand and the second batch was calibrated by laser.
What is the first batch? Ser. no.?
What's your ser. no. now?
09-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope I have the same luck as you. I returned my lens two weeks ago because of back focusing. I don't believe they actually try to repair them, do they?
09-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The first s/n was in the 90XXXXX series and the second is in the 21XXX series.
09-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting.
Mine is of the 901xxxx batch.

What does Laser calibration mean?
The Pentax service is doing the focus calibration by hand, too.

Mine is focussing correct, btw.

09-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was fairly sure that the two I had were not representative of the model, only a glitch. Bad luck that I found two bad ones in one place. One day I'll get another one and be quite happy, I'm sure.
09-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

"Laser Calibrated"??

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
This "laser calibrated" term sound creative and super new but yet its meaning is actually not exact and just look rather laymen to me.

What I know is lenses are assembled quite manually for quite some steps which include doing the proper alignments when assembling a lens:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: A Virtual Lens Plant!
09-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The first s/n was in the 90XXXXX series and the second is in the 21XXX series.
Such huge differences in serial number usually hint the products were made in different production *lines* but not for a different batch. I have a Silver *ist DS and a Black one of which the s/n difference was looking like that.

So, where were you two different DA* lens made as labelled for the two lenses?
09-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #12

Would be good to have more info on this. Are all the new DA* 16-50mm so much better than the first released or was it just a bad sample from the first batch.
09-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Interesting.
Mine is of the 901xxxx batch.

Mine is focussing correct, btw.
My assumption is that the process of calibration was done with computers with lasers to more accurately line up the elements in the lens on the second batch vs the first batch done by hand.
09-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

My assumption is that the process of calibration was done with computers with lasers to more accurately line up the elements in the lens on the second batch vs the first batch done by hand.
Mine is of the 901 series as well. I've really been uncertain whether mine is a lemon or not.
09-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Mine is of the 901 series as well. I've really been uncertain whether mine is a lemon or not.
Then just send it to Pentax... if it's part of a bad lot they will most likey adjust/replace. Your only out a coule of bucks for shipping... A long time ago I did that w a 24-50 A lens because I felt the front element/housing was a bit loose. Was strictly done for reassurance. Came back exactly as I sent it....There apparently was nothing wrong with it. One thing that gets manufactures attention is people sending things back. Sent my D in as well. Ther were issues that were fixed but I also asked for re-calibration. Came back recalibrated to the same thing as the original.