Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super-Tak 200mm/4 -- stuck M/A switch

Yo! I just received a Super-Tak 200/4 with a slight problem -- the M/A switch is stuck on AUTO. That's OK to put on a Spotty or other auto M42 body, but it doesn't work so well on a K-mount cam. Also, the focus is rather sticky between 2.5-4.5m. Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this? Other than selling it for parts.

11-12-2010, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yo! I just received a Super-Tak 200/4 with a slight problem -- the M/A switch is stuck on AUTO. That's OK to put on a Spotty or other auto M42 body, but it doesn't work so well on a K-mount cam. Also, the focus is rather sticky between 2.5-4.5m. Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this? Other than selling it for parts.
Sell it to me for $5. Heck, I'll even pay for shipping

Look at the mount of the lens, you'll see a little pin, much smaller than the one to close down the aperture. Hold down that pin and flip the switch to M.

Bingo!

About "the focus is rather sticky," I'm not sure how/what to help you with.

My offer to buy still stands
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an illustration as to what's going on: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/3954-why-auto...umar-lens.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Super-Tak guys...

That lens is simple to service. Instead of unscrewing front name ring, the entire front section with front element groups unscrews; focus close first to get a grip. Oh , there is asahisuper-takumar200mmf4 - davidimagephotography

11-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, fast responses! Thanks!
[/me brushs supper crumbs from chin]

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Heck, I'll even pay for shipping
I'll bet you would.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Alas, my situation is different. I see that base/switch structure on some ST's and SMC's, but not this. Neither my older ST 200/4 (#2856135) nor the problematic 'newer' one (#3763617) are that complex. Both have just the simple M42 mount with the single diaphragm pin. Manipulating that pin, the aperture ring, and the stuck switch (back/borth/up/down) achieves nothing. My x-ray vision isn't working tonight so I can't see what's happening inside there. Alas.

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
That lens is simple to service. Instead of unscrewing front name ring, the entire front section with front element groups unscrews; focus close first to get a grip. Oh , there is asahisuper-takumar200mmf4 - davidimagephotography
I'd already unscrewed the front section (and blew out some dust) but I didn't know where to go from there. I'll look at that article carefully and see if my dilemma is solved. Thanks!

EDIT:

Hmm, from what I see in that article, this repair will have to wait a few hours till I can round up my better tools and a better-lit workspace. This will be my first full-body lens dissecton. I will utter Alan Shepherd's Prayer, and proceed with caution...

Last edited by RioRico; 11-12-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: addendum
11-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I assume you have mounted the lens on the camera and it still behaves like that.
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Sell it to me for $5.
Considering that he probably only paid two, he would still make a profit.
11-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I assume you have mounted the lens on the camera and it still behaves like that.
Yes indeed. I screwed the 200/4 onto several M42 auto bodies -- Spotmatic I & II, Focal 1000, Sears TLS -- with no change. I can stop-down the lens on-camera, but the switch is still stuck on Auto. Ah well, sunlight pours in my window now, and maybe I can find my good (small) screwdrivers. So it must be about time for open-lens surgery. Nurse, pass me a martini, I need my hands steady...

11-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I think a joint might steady you more, but before you operate, send me your address:

I need the base grinded down on my m42 Mamiya 135 in order to mount it, and I don't know what the hell Is going on with my Peleng.
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure thing, Ira. Send me the joint and the lenses, and I'll send back a ground-down Mamiya. The Peleng may need a few months' testing. And a few more joints.

That's ok, it's medicinal. I have a prescription. Wrote it myself. Hey, I was an Army medic, I can do stuff like that. Field surgery, too. Just give me an X-acto blade, and a Zippo (for sterilization), and some anesthetic, and I'll slice off any unneeded appendages. Cheap.

[/me hums FLIGHT OF THE VALKYRIES, waves blade around, listens for choppers]
05-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just had this same problem, had me worried. Thanks!