Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SuperTak 55mm/f1.8 arrived today

The SuperTak 55/1.8 that I won on eBay arrived today. A bit dusty but in nice shape overall. Came with a Sportmatic, wonder what I can do with that? Will KEH buy it and let me put that money toward lenses

Anyway, nice lens. I like the look in the viewfinder and for whatever reason, under similar conditions, its generating a focus confirmation much more often and faster than my SuperTak 50/1.4

Here is my first attempt with it, resized this but no other adjustments.

11-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a nice lens for sure, I have the Super Tak version, the SMC Tak Version in f 1.8 and f2, love em all !!!
11-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Keep the spotty; one day you can explain the kid how a (d)SLR works; mirror up, shutter while no lens mounted and back open (so you can look through it).

It's a very nice lens, by the way.
11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The SuperTak 55/1.8 that I won on eBay arrived today. A bit dusty but in nice shape overall. Came with a Sportmatic, wonder what I can do with that? Will KEH buy it and let me put that money toward lenses

Anyway, nice lens. I like the look in the viewfinder and for whatever reason, under similar conditions, its generating a focus confirmation much more often and faster than my SuperTak 50/1.4

Here is my first attempt with it, resized this but no other adjustments.
That lens looks AWFUL compared to mine!

Have fun with it, and keep me updated (via PMs if you want or in the Tak club) as to comparisons with the 1.4. I haven't shot enough with the 1.8 to make any judgments.

11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. That was literally the 1st shot with the 55. It's a bit more subject to flare than the SMCs but I like the color on it better than the 50M/2. Still having more luck with focus lock on it vs. the SuperTak 50/1.4 but its a process. I'm learning, and having a lot of fun too.

Now, should I get that 35/f2 SuperTak...........
11-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Now, should I get that 35/f2 SuperTak...........
No, you should leave that for me
11-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
No, you should leave that for me
Well, next on my list is either a fast 35 or a fast 85. I've looked at the Jupiter 85/f2 and the SuperTak 35/f2. Now to find one in good shape at a reasonable price......

11-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, next on my list is either a fast 35 or a fast 85. I've looked at the Jupiter 85/f2 and the SuperTak 35/f2. Now to find one in good shape at a reasonable price......
The Tak 35/2 is a pricey lens, I would love to have one, but am not willing to pay 2 or 3 hundred bucks for it, lol
11-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

The 35 2s don't show up often, and based on past history, it will be selling for $350 minimum in a few months. Now, with some hunting, you can get them between $200 and $250 on the low end. (Someone just won one for like $200.)

I think the 85 1.9 prices have topped off, and $300 should be the max. There just seems to be 10 times as many 85 1.9s around than 35 2s. The 85 1.8, lot less around than the 1.9.
11-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #10

I'm looking at picking up a Spotmatic off Craigslist with a 55mm 1.8 for my new K-x. Do I need a adaptor ring for this lens on the K-x or will it mount direct? I'm just starting to learn about the Pentax lens mounts. I'm not sure yet what exact model the 55mm is but just that is on a Spotmatic for $60. Thanks.
11-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilloam Quote
I'm looking at picking up a Spotmatic off Craigslist with a 55mm 1.8 for my new K-x. Do I need a adaptor ring for this lens on the K-x or will it mount direct? I'm just starting to learn about the Pentax lens mounts. I'm not sure yet what exact model the 55mm is but just that is on a Spotmatic for $60. Thanks.
This seems to be about market price (maybe a hair above avg but it comes with a camera) for the 55/1.8 so you should be reasonably confident that the lens is good (no fungus, smooth focus or other mechanical/glass issues). Otherwise there are 20-30 every week (it seems) on Ebay to pick from. And that is also the lower end of the 50/1.4 range if you do some digging (poorly labeled auctions).

And yes you will need an adapter ring.
11-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. Do you yourself use an M42 adaptor to K-mount? Generic or Pentax brand? I'm disappointed to read alot of negative reviews on the cheap generic adaptors. Would rather spend $10 than $30 but don't want to be prying things off with screwdrivers. Are there K-mount manual focus primes between 50mm-135mm. Ideally I just want a 50mm at F1.8 or faster for relatively cheap and I'd rather not use an adaptor if I don't have too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount#Pentax_2

I don't see where it states whether the lens is K mount or M42.
11-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm still a newbie in the dSLR world and am waiting for my first shipment of MF lenses (I live in Taiwan and my mom is sending everything at once). So I can't offer advice on which adapter to buy (you've read the same board that I have) but make sure that it at least allows infinity focus which is a must for me since I do landscapes. I will be going with the official adapter.

All takumars (except for these Pentax Non-SMC & Other Pentax Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database) are M42 mounts. edit - technically there are some other non-M42 mount takumars (like M39) but they are older and kind of rare.

The lens review database contains a lot of great info.
11-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #14

I may just hold out for a K mount 50mm 1.7 or 1.4. The main reason why I chose Pentax over Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.. was because of availability of cheap fast glass. I have to say, the K-x's ergonomics outdo the T2i and the lower end Nikons I've held in store.
11-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are indeed a variety of less expensive lens options available. The two main mounts are the M42 (screw on) and K mount (Bayonet mount). There are three main categories of adapters for the M42 to K mount (K is the modern Pentax mount): 1) those with a flange that prevents focus to infinity (as low as $3) - avoid these, 2) Non-Pentax adapters that allow focus to infinity by fitting into the K-Mount completely ($10-15) they apparently vary a great deal in QC&QA, the one I have got stuck with the spring installed so I removed it, and 3) the Pentax OEM model ($30-40) which I have found no complaints about at all.

The older glass comes in a variety of flavors as well. I'd just spend time reading the Lenses section under Pentax to start with. There are the M42 models that are Takumar and can be Super Multi Coated (viewed as the better option mostly due to more resistance to flare and other light management issues) or not. They are typically very well thought of both in the Pentax community and among photographers generally. There are also Non-Takumar branded M42s from a variety of makers including some interesting Russian ones. In the manual focus camp there are also K Mount models from Takumar and Pentax. The K, M, and A models fall into this category.

As I said, read posts here in the SLR Lens Discussion area and the LENSES section of reviews. There's a lot to learn and I have started off with two of the most commonly recommended models myself - the Super Takumar 50 f1.4 and the Super Takumar 55 f1.8. I'm enjoying learning about each and using them has been the best way to figure them out.

Good luck.