Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #1

Hood for the FA* 24mm/2

I don´t have the hood for my 24/2 anymore. It´s on the bottom of the sea. Please don´t ask how...

A long shot here; Getting an original hood for it seems close to impossible so I´m wondering if anyone knows if there is another Pentax hood that will fit the hood bayonet on this lens, like maybe the PH RBJ67 or something like that? Never mind the color, the lens is not a collectors item for me. It´s my walkaround workhorse prime on the K-7.

Thanks,

Mats

11-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vaguely remember reading about this issue some time ago. I'm on my phone so won't search the hood you are referring to but I think hood from FA24-90 should fit and I'm not sure if hood for DA16-45 or 16-50 wouldn't be the same.

Good luck and keep us posted
11-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #3

Hood for FA*24

Hi,

i use mine with a Heliplan ES 67 Hood. It' cylindric so you can leave the hodd on the lens and close the hood with the lenscap. The Hood is 20 mm and it works fine. Qverall you will
have a package which is mor compact. I find it more pracical.

J.
11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Strangest thing tho...Been over at Bojidar´s site to see if I could find what lens this PH RBJ 67 hood was made for but I can´t find any 67mm filter threaded lens, prime or zoom, that is listing it as "dedicated". The hood in question is listed on the fleabay and it clearly shows "PH RBJ 67" on it. I´m puzzled....

juekapasta.
A cylindric hood will surley do nice with the K7, but the problem is I own a few film bodies also and I will get vignetting there, so a "flower" hood working for 35mm would be best.

11-13-2010, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
Thanks guys. Strangest thing tho...Been over at Bojidar´s site to see if I could find what lens this PH RBJ 67 hood was made for but I can´t find any 67mm filter threaded lens, prime or zoom, that is listing it as "dedicated". The hood in question is listed on the fleabay and it clearly shows "PH RBJ 67" on it. I´m puzzled....

juekapasta.
A cylindric hood will surley do nice with the K7, but the problem is I own a few film bodies also and I will get vignetting there, so a "flower" hood working for 35mm would be best.
I'm pretty sure that hood was designed for a 645 lens, as it looks really familiar to me. I've got that lens, so I can check if needed.

I think it's for the 45mm:

SMC Pentax-FA 645 45mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Which also means that it should fit the 24mm perfectly, as 24x2 is close enough to 45

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ah, of course a 645, That would explain it. That 45mm sports a hood named PH-RBC67 though, but I would guess we´re on the right track here. If you have the 24/2 to try on, it would be great. Awaiting your results with great hope. Thanks!
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll be able to check on Wednesday! I'll try to remember, if I forget, post in this thread and I'll get an e-mail

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried the hood for the FA 24-90 on the FA* 24mm and it did not want to fit, and I didnt want to force it. The DA* 16-50 is no good either.

Best bet is a screw in hood.
11-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The bayonet on the 24mm is a bit different, so I'm not surprised! Only hope is the 45mm's hood, I guess. And I think you're right about the screw-in hood!

Adam

11-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for checking Peter. The screw in hood is on my list if this matter doesn´t bring anything. I have one 67mm screw-on flower on the 20/2.8 and it fits (of course) nicely on the 24/2 also, so it´s already been tried out.

Pretty strange they developed different bayonets that needed different hoods for the same filter thread size on the different lenses...They could have used one standard hood bayonet for each filter thread size, in this case, the 67mm which must have been much more cost effective as for development. Any thoughts?
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #11

The matching shade for the 24/2 is very quirky and precise in how it mounted, mine is also missing. I would love to find a good replacement.

Right now I use a 67mm screw on rubber type, I can leave it on and remove/replace the lens cap, so it's pretty convenient.

Is the ph-rbb or -rbj or whatever from the SMC 67 lens a definite no-go?
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a quick aside - how do you owners find the FA24 performs on digital? Looks like a great FL for me, but just a touch concerned its IQ doesn't live up to the price tag...?!
11-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Forum Member

If you can't find a bayonet hood for it, you could buy a screw on hood. They are available on ebay. They won't be ideal, but they will still be better than having no hood.
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To follow up, the 645 45mm's hood does fit, but at the wrong angle, and a little bit crookedly. I'm sure that you can get it to fit correctly with a little DIY work, but I think that in the long run, it might be easier to just get a screw-in Pentax rubber hood.

Adam

11-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #15

Thanks for the update, Adam.

Rob1234, I find the 24/2 quite good on digital. I like the focal length quite a bit, and it's nice lens. Very sharp, thought it can happen that focus is either a little off or seems to front or back focus on certain cameras. The only problem I find for myself isn't focus so much as when the lens is wide open, there is kind of a 'glow' to the image. The lens is clean and vermin-free, and it's happened with previous copies anyway, so I'm not sure what the cause is. Stopped down, not noticable.