Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me 'Adapt', please>

I have purchased two Super Takumars (50/1.4 and 28/3.5)
which have not yet arrived. In advance I got a 'general' adaptor (to K) from B&H. It is marked 'BOWER.........JAPAN'. Has anyone any experience with this brand?

Are there others out there?

Just checking...........

09-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
which have not yet arrived. In advance I got a 'general' adaptor (to K) from B&H. It is marked 'BOWER.........JAPAN'. Has anyone any experience with this brand?

Just checking...........
Not familiar with that brand, there are lots of 3rd party adapters out there. Generally speaking, not to say the 3rd party adapters aren't good, but I think the Pentax OEM adapter is considered the best bet.

By the way. Those are 2 very good lenses. I've still got the 28 f3.5. Sharp as a tack, very contrasty and good color rendition. Hope you enjoy using it.
09-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

I have a bower step-up ring, does that count as experience? I know there have been some people running into problems with third party adapters, but youve already got it so just wait and see, if it works then it works.
09-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got my adapter a few days ago and it is a "Bower". Seems to work fine to me, but I have nothing to compare it against. It has a little tool that comes with it to help get it on and off. I just got a Super Takumar 28 f3.5 too. I've taken a few "test" shots with it, but hope to put it through a complete workout this weekend. I think I may try to pickup one of those 50mm f1.4's too......

09-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So far as I know, Bower is very much a US company - probably the adapt. was made in Japan.

Bower is quite reputable.
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Blog post on pentax m42 adapter

I have this adapter, some info in my blog post

Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

Try to visit the links in the blog post especially the first link for installation.

Thanks,
Hin
09-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll be picking up my Super Takumar in about a week, and just picked up a Genuine Pentax adapter yesterday.

It was a few extra dollars, but in my opinion worth the extra expense.

If your Bower gives you any problems (like sticking) drop me a PM, and I'll get you the contact info for the store I got it from.
They have 1 more in stock.

I should mention that they're now closed for about a week, so you won't get a response from them right away.
I'll be leaving for 1 or 2 weeks in about a week, so you don't want to put off asking me either.

09-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Where can I buy the genuine pentax m42 adapter?

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'll be picking up my Super Takumar in about a week, and just picked up a Genuine Pentax adapter yesterday.

It was a few extra dollars, but in my opinion worth the extra expense.

If your Bower gives you any problems (like sticking) drop me a PM, and I'll get you the contact info for the store I got it from.
They have 1 more in stock.

I should mention that they're now closed for about a week, so you won't get a response from them right away.
I'll be leaving for 1 or 2 weeks in about a week, so you don't want to put off asking me either.
Can I know where you can get the genuine pentax adapter? I keep looking for it and I can't find it anywhere and that is why I purchase the Bowers adapter from BHphoto. It is not bad but I know the genuine adapter from Pentax will work better and smoother without the need of the removal tool

Pentax M42 Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
09-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another post regarding m42 setup

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote

Just checking...........
I will be heading home for weekend. I just have another post with two custom settings needed for the m42 lens, hope this help you a bit

Setup with Pentax M42 mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

Typos and wrong information are likely, I will check back later tonight.

Thank you,
Hin
09-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can I know where you can get the genuine pentax adapter? I keep looking for it and I can't find it anywhere and that is why I purchase the Bowers adapter from BHphoto. It is not bad but I know the genuine adapter from Pentax will work better and smoother without the need of the removal tool

Pentax M42 Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
Sorry Hin,
John sent me a PM right away... beating you to it.
If he hasn't bought it when I talk to the dealer I'll let you know

The price is $30.00 CNDN new.

When I talk to Bill the store owner I'll ask if any more are available in a reasonable time frame.
09-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

my pentax adapters work great and i know the bower does too. it'just a little harder to get out sometimes. i have a kalt that i take out with just a finger nail also
09-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the Kalt brand from B&H. It works just fine, and the threads are well machined. Although, the red dot on the adapter used to register with the other red dot on the camera is in the wrong spot. So inserting the adapter one slot ahead gives the correct lens orientation after screwing it on.

When the lens is fully tight, it is actually turned slightly to the left when looking down on the camera -- this is advantageous tho, as the flash housing would otherwise cover up all the settings on the lens.

This topic has been pretty much discussed throughout the web. Pentax brand is best -- although hard to find and expensive. The General brand (Bower) and the Kalt brand from B&H work well and are inexpensive. Refrain from buying any adapter that has a flange unless infinity focus in unimportant to you.
09-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well I assume they packaged the Pentax branded adaptor with a removal tool as well. It just so happens to be that the bayonet teeth on the pentax one is thinner so it would incur less resistance during removal.
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax USA website has the Mount Adapter B (35mm screwmount to bayonet) for sale through their online store for $30 (US).

I have a Bower that works fine. I also have a Kalt which has the same off center mount were the lens distance indicator does not come to center.
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can buy a NEW Pentax adapter at a reasonable price here...

Want to buy a NEW genuine Pentax screw-to-K adapter for a reasonable price? Look here

PENTAX SP-K ADAPTER

The description is not very good. But I ordered this item this year and
received a brand new Pentax brand adapter.