Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapting Minolta lenses to PK?

I recently was given a large amount of minolta film gear for free, and was just curious if adapting any of the lenses would be possible/worth the effort?

I can not wait to try film with any one of the three minolta camera's, but ultimately I'd much rather use them on a digital body

three of the lenses are what I believe to be A mount (one of which is apparently a fairly sought after lens The Minolta maxxum 70-210mm F/4 "beercan" . The others are a maxxum 50mm F/1.7 and a maxxum 28-85mm all with their respective hoods )

The others are just normal MD (?) mount

Last edited by yeatzee; 11-14-2010 at 12:40 AM.
11-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The AF lenses are probably better off used on a Sony body or sold to somebody who would use them on a Sony body. I don't expect the older Minolta and Sony digital bodies are all that expensive used and I think the AF lenses are fully compatible with them. Long term, you now have a valid excuse to buy a full frame A850.

From the difference in registration distances it looks like you would have to shorten the manual focus lenses by about 2 mm to retain infinity focus on a Pentax body if you were to convert them. Depending on how the mount is designed that should be achievable.
11-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The AF lenses are probably better off used on a Sony body or sold to somebody who would use them on a Sony body. I don't expect the older Minolta and Sony digital bodies are all that expensive used and I think the AF lenses are fully compatible with them. Long term, you now have a valid excuse to buy a full frame A850.

From the difference in registration distances it looks like you would have to shorten the manual focus lenses by about 2 mm to retain infinity focus on a Pentax body if you were to convert them. Depending on how the mount is designed that should be achievable.
Oh how I hate sony alpha bodies though

I guess the A mount lenses will have to be used exclusively on film, as I am not going to sell them for personal reasons. Now if only I could figure out how to work the minolta maxxum 7000 and where to get the film developed I literally have ZERO knowledge when it comes to film, yet I own 90% film lens and have 5 slr's