Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8?

There's a rebate going on for the Tamron 90mm DI, and I was hoping to purchase one soon. I read the reviews online, but was wondering what were Pentax users experiences with the lens.

-imt

UPDATED | Received the lens. Sample photo:

Last edited by imadethis; 10-12-2007 at 06:58 PM.
09-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the slightly older non-DI but the newer DI is the identical lens with "digital" coatings, I believe. It's smaller than the FA100/2.8 macro, a bit bigger or about the same size as the D-FA100/2.8 macro.

It is sharp, has a nicely recessed front element to prevent flare, has great color rendering, nice bokeh, easy to focus manually, doubles as a great portrait lens.

(This next sentence is gonna get me into trouble with someone!) However you can make the above comments about pretty much all F2.8 1:1 macro lenses in the 90-105mm range; you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Other things to note. Doesn't have QSF but it does have a manual focus/autofocus clutch. It also has a focus limiter which the D-FA100 doesn't have.

Last edited by tranq78; 09-21-2007 at 09:58 PM.
09-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #3

I had this lens up till a month ago when I sold it to buy the Pentax DFA Macro 100. But don't let my choice fool you: it was an excellent lens, as described in the post above:very sharp, great colour rendering, and also a great portrait lens. The 90mm (as opposed to the Pentax's 100mm) actually came in handy when you wanted to do portraits of friends and family around a table at dinner or at the restaurant, because that meant you didn't need to be as far from them as when using the Pentax. I just switched to the Pentax because of my LBA, because I could afford it and because I decided to have an all-Pentax lens collection, plus the reviews of the Pentax were great too. But for the price, I'd say the Tamron is absolutely excellent value for money. With a rebate included, it's even better. I'd say go for it!
09-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I have the lens, but with a Canon mount. Macro lenses tend to be the sharpest lenses in any collection, be it from Pentax, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc. So you can't really go wrong with a macro lens if your looking for fantastic IQ.

The Tamron is a wonderful lens. After reading exhaustively on the internet this past summer, it came down to the Sigma 150 and the Tamron 90. I bought the Tamron because it was lighter, more versatile, made a very good portrait lens, and cheaper then the Sigma 150 by some 300 dollars. It works fantastic with a 2x teleconverter also.

Highly recommended.

10-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I have the lens, but with a Canon mount. Macro lenses tend to be the sharpest lenses in any collection, be it from Pentax, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc. So you can't really go wrong with a macro lens if your looking for fantastic IQ.

The Tamron is a wonderful lens. After reading exhaustively on the internet this past summer, it came down to the Sigma 150 and the Tamron 90. I bought the Tamron because it was lighter, more versatile, made a very good portrait lens, and cheaper then the Sigma 150 by some 300 dollars. It works fantastic with a 2x teleconverter also.

Highly recommended.
I just picked up my Tamron 90mm Macro today.
Looking forward to shooting with it too.

Good to know that it works well with TCs as well. Interesting.
10-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an older version, a pre-DI one. It is a fantastic lens. I'm not terribly impressed with Tamron zooms, but this one is in a different class. However, as previously stated, you really can't go wrong with any of the mid-range zooms. They are all good lenses.
10-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered one from 17th street photo, and it should be arriving later this week.

Last edited by imadethis; 10-12-2007 at 05:52 PM.
10-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In a Word

QuoteOriginally posted by imadethis Quote
There's a rebate going on for the Tamron 90mm DI, and I was hoping to purchase one soon. I read the reviews online, but was wondering what were Pentax users experiences with the lens.

-imt
...AWESOME!!....

10-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Ben's assessment of this lens is correct albeit rather short. I will try to expand further... in two words...

****ING AWESOME!

10-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few samples

I posted a few samples of it's capabilities earlier today here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/12874-1-1-macr...howdown-2.html

scroll down to my post "another vote for the Tamron 90"

NaCl(it's not just for macros any more)H2O
10-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm really jealous of all owners of this lens.

I may save up for this lens. It's amazing.
10-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have been out and taken a couple of shots ... nothing to post up yet ... I need to find something decent to take with it ... so many flies here at the moment ... the buggers don't stay still though.

But so far so good ... talk about crisp though. This is a very sharp lens if used for portraiture. I have yet to play with Macro.

Anyone got some good pointers????
10-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just received the lens, and it is amazing. The full vs. limited switch is a great feature saving time from trying to focus. Let's say if you wanted to shoot a macro, you would turn on the full switch, or if you wanted to shoot a portrait, you would turn on the limited switch.

From the shots I've taken, the lens is tack sharp and has nice color. It's everything I had hoped for.

EDIT: I've updated the original post with a sample shot.
10-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by imadethis Quote
I just received the lens, and it is amazing.... .
It sure is, I got mine last week and this weekend I will do some serious testing, when the wind drops.. this shot of a dandelion was one of my first, hand held and with onboard flash.

Phil

10-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I moved to the Voigtlander 125/2.5 and sold my Tamron 90.. But there is no doubt the Tamron 90 DI is a great lens, and much lighter than the voigtlander LOL