Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

What's your favorite lens?

Part I- ok, so i know that different lenses are important for different shots, but what really is the lens you use the most? and why do you like this lens the best?

Part II- my dad has an *istD with a 28-88mm lens. its really not the best camera. he has always loved photography, but cameras are expensive and he only has this one cuz my rich grandad (who calls himself a photographer cuz he can offord any camera he wants although all his pictures are horrific) gave it to him when he decided to upgrade. I was thinking that maybe he could get a good lens for it to make the pics a bit better, so what lens would you recommend? he needs a lens that he can take pictures of my little sister's birthday parties as well as of land scapes and macro and birds. i am getting the K-x for christmas, so something better than the 18-55mm that i can use too would be fantastic! (im pretty sure a kx can take all pentax lenses.)

also: why do u think this lens is best for him/ describe the usages of this particular lens?

11-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The new Pentax DA 18-135 should be out any day, I would wait and see how this one performs. It would be a great all around lens for him.
11-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
^ ^ ^^ ^ ^
Alright, he may even wait until christmas or even his birthday in february when he can get the lens as a gift, so we'll wait to find that out as well as hearing other people's advice. thanks!
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fact that he wants it to be such a well rounded lens leads me to believe the 18-135 is the lens for him. It won't do true macro, but it should do pretty much everything else he would want to do.

11-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Part I: FA 31 - most used (now) and my favourite tied with the FA 43 and 77 (just can't split up the 3 amigos)...

Part II: Tamron 17-50. It's no macro, but it has a decent close focus, and very good IQ. Only downside is that it's not the best of build quality and isn't weather sealed.
11-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My favourite is usually the last one I bought, in this case the 55-300.
Otherwise the DA40
Pete
11-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

1 My favorite lens is the FA35/2.0. It substitutes my m50/1.7 in the film days very well.

2 Your father could use a DA16-45 for parties, landscapes and close-ups.
Its sharp, versatile and affordable.
For birds he could pursuase a DA55-300 later on.
11-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My favourite lens is one I sold around 8 months ago .. a Vivitar 100mm f2.8 macro made by Kiron. I actually traded it for a D-FA 100mm f2.8 and have regretted it ever since I put it in the post.

I have just last week managed to find a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 with A contacts for a sensible price and once that gets here I will be happy once more.

Sad innit

11-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #9

It's hard for me to separate the DA 40mm and the M50 1.7 they are both so good at what they do.
11-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancinonwater Quote
Part I- ok, so i know that different lenses are important for different shots, but what really is the lens you use the most? and why do you like this lens the best?

Part II- my dad has an *istD with a 28-88mm lens. its really not the best camera. he has always loved photography, but cameras are expensive and he only has this one cuz my rich grandad (who calls himself a photographer cuz he can offord any camera he wants although all his pictures are horrific) gave it to him when he decided to upgrade. I was thinking that maybe he could get a good lens for it to make the pics a bit better, so what lens would you recommend? he needs a lens that he can take pictures of my little sister's birthday parties as well as of land scapes and macro and birds. i am getting the K-x for christmas, so something better than the 18-55mm that i can use too would be fantastic! (im pretty sure a kx can take all pentax lenses.)

also: why do u think this lens is best for him/ describe the usages of this particular lens?
My favorite lens might be of use to your dad. Before I say what lens it is I completely understand that it is not the sharpest nor does it have the greatest IQ but the reason I like the Tamron 18-200 is because it is so versatile. I can put it on my camera and leave it there for most any shot I need and the IQ was surprisingly good. If you have the $ and patience to switch lenses then there are definitely better options out there but for the price and versatility, the Tamron is my favorite lens.
11-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Part I: My most favorite lens is the Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 macro, it took a while to become friends, but I love that lens.

Part II: My first lens was a Tamron 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3. It may not be the fastest in the book and also not always the sharpest, but it's such a nice walk-around lens to have. although I must confess I hardly use it since the Tamron 90 mm came to my house. I'd say the Tamron 18-200 mm is also a good one, maybe even better for your dad because of the 18 mm, it's always nice to have a little bit of wide-angle, although it's not a lot with the crop factor, of course.
11-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the Sigma 70-200mm. No, wait: the A 35-105mm. But then there's the DA 300mm. And the Sigma 24mm f2.8. True, I've been having a lot of fun with the DA 15mm lately but the FA 31mm is really really special though. Of course, so are the 43mm and the 77mm.

Oh, I don't know!
11-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with KarenH on this one. I like all my lenses, some more than others, but the Tamron 90 is just so versitle. Macro, of corse but also a great short tele, and an excellent portrait lens. Sharp sharp sharp, excellent color rendition, and bokeh to die for. It's my go to lens when I need a little reach. In addition, I love it's ergonomics, very smooth focusing, and the focus limit saves a lot of time.

NaCl(almost always in my bag)H2O
11-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm torn between the 15, 21, and 40. Since getting those, I rarely bother with the 18-250 zoom anymore. (Even thinking about just selling it.) The image quality compared to the zoom is unbeatable. Rather than zooming in to frame something, the primes force you to rethink composition, and that's another thing I like about them.
11-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter

My most used lens is the DA40, which is usually accompanied somewhere by a DA21 or DA15. Lately, the DA12-24 and the DA70/FA77 are in the bag with it.

Not to diminish the romance, but asking me my favorite lens is like asking me my favorite between a hammer and a screwdriver. My favorite is the tool that gets me the shot I want at a particular moment.

My "one lens" solution currently is the DA17-70. I would be very tempted by the new 18-135 for someone in the position of the OP's father.