Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
[langtitle=vi]DA* 55? Should or should not?[/langtitle]

Hi everyone!
I'm using kit II 18-55, DAL 50-200, 21 ltd and 40 ltd. My hobbies are about portrait, friends and family but I like portrait the most because I want to show the emotion of people in their faces. I am satisfies with the image quality of 21 and 40 but I want to the lense that can give me the highest quality for portrait so that I am selling 21 and 40. So should I buy DA* 55 1.4 or FA 77 1.8 or cheaper DA 70 2.4. I like the large aperture so that I focus more on DA* 55 1.4 instead of FA 50 1.4, it sharp from 2.8( I listen from many people ). Although price of DA* 55 1.4 is very high, I really impress at the sharpness, color and especially the creamy bokeh.

Anyone uses DA* 55 1.4 can share experience with me, please? Thanks!!!
Some pics from 21 and 40 ltd
#1 21ltd



#2 40 ltd



#3 40 ltd



#4 40 ltd



#5



11-15-2010, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
It's a good lens, worth the money if you are careful with your background. If you can, though, I'd recommend to track down A or K50/1.2. I prefer rendering of those to DA*55 and they are cheaper (K is for sure).
11-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's a good lens, worth the money if you are careful with your background. If you can, though, I'd recommend to track down A or K50/1.2. I prefer rendering of those to DA*55 and they are cheaper (K is for sure).
I found that pentax K 50 1.2 on ebay is about more than $550. The new DA* 55 1.4 at Vietnam where I live is about $700. I think it is easier for to get the new DA* 55 1.4 because I see only 3 lenses Pentax K 50 1.2 , and no AF
11-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Wow, in UK K50 1.2 go for 250-300 which is half price compared to new *55. The AF, oh well, I don't miss it at all and I shot whole September with it, but I understand some folks prefer AF. As I said with the DA*55, it's a lovely lens, tad big IMHO but I didn't mind that. The only thing which made me return my copy is that compared to 50/1.2 the *55 has rather busy bokeh IMHO. But that's down to personal preference, other than that I'd say the lens is exceptional.

11-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
PS: #3 is lovely shot IMHO
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
PS: #3 is lovely shot IMHO
thanks:X

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Wow, in UK K50 1.2 go for 250-300 which is half price compared to new *55. The AF, oh well, I don't miss it at all and I shot whole September with it, but I understand some folks prefer AF. As I said with the DA*55, it's a lovely lens, tad big IMHO but I didn't mind that. The only thing which made me return my copy is that compared to 50/1.2 the *55 has rather busy bokeh IMHO. But that's down to personal preference, other than that I'd say the lens is exceptional.
First, it is difficult for me to use MF lens, I also have pentax M 50 1.7 but I usually take it out of focus . Second, as I know, there are only 3 people using DA* 55 in Vietnam so I do not have enough condition to check how the DA* 55 is. Thus, your comment is very very useful for me, thank you very much! I still care about the price of DA* 55 because it is very high, or may be I am satisfied with my 40 ltd at the moment . I like 40 more than FA 50 1.4 so that I do not want to buy FA 50 1.4. Can you give me some comparation between DA* 55 with FA 50? ( from your own experience, because I believe everyday users more than pictures were tested )
11-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 360
I think even more important than the gear/setting that was used to take #3, we also would like to know where and when we can find #3 (extremely important) , and is #3 single?

alright all jokes aside, great pictures lol. Judging from the pictures I have to say it's at Hue or Da Lat? definitely not in Ho Chi Minh city I think.
11-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
I found my DA* 55/1.4 sharper than the SMC Pentax-F (not FA) 50/1.4. The DA* is a great lens indeed, and that's why I made some of my first shots with the K-5 with it.

This was from the K-5 unboxing party:



My son; this is from the Pentax Photo Gallery:



11-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
I think the DA 55 is different enough from the 40 to own both. The 40 will give you fantastic portraits, but if you really want to minimize your depth of field, it is a full 2 stops faster than the 40, and a better portrait length. I would prefer to have the 55 at, say a wedding, A) for the low light, and B) for the quiet autofocus.
11-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Piotr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I found my DA* 55/1.4 sharper than the SMC Pentax-F (not FA) 50/1.4. The DA* is a great lens indeed, and that's why I made some of my first shots with the K-5 with it.

This was from the K-5 unboxing party:
congratulation

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
My son; this is from the Pentax Photo Gallery:
your son shot is simply stunning
11-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
The DA* 55mm is the first lens I put on my K-5 when it arrived. I have to say I didn't rate it much on my K10D because of it's slow AF and BF issues but on the K-5 it is so much better.

F1.4, ISO 2000.

11-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I think even more important than the gear/setting that was used to take #3, we also would like to know where and when we can find #3 (extremely important) , and is #3 single?

alright all jokes aside, great pictures lol. Judging from the pictures I have to say it's at Hue or Da Lat? definitely not in Ho Chi Minh city I think.
I took this picture at Ethnographic Museum near Cau Giay Street in Hanoi. Have you ever been to Hanoi? That's very nice

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I think the DA 55 is different enough from the 40 to own both. The 40 will give you fantastic portraits, but if you really want to minimize your depth of field, it is a full 2 stops faster than the 40, and a better portrait length. I would prefer to have the 55 at, say a wedding, A) for the low light, and B) for the quiet autofocus.
Thank you, the price of DA* 55 in Vietnam is about 14 million Vietnam dong, more than 7 times as average income of person each month, so I still wonder to buy it:P

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I found my DA* 55/1.4 sharper than the SMC Pentax-F (not FA) 50/1.4. The DA* is a great lens indeed, and that's why I made some of my first shots with the K-5 with it.

This was from the K-5 unboxing party:



My son; this is from the Pentax Photo Gallery:
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
The DA* 55mm is the first lens I put on my K-5 when it arrived. I have to say I didn't rate it much on my K10D because of it's slow AF and BF issues but on the K-5 it is so much better.

F1.4, ISO 2000.
@Asahiflex and Mike.P: That's very nice!!! If I buy DA* 55, I will try to get K5 in the near future
06-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Scootatheschool1990's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boise Idaho
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 466
Did you have any problems with the AF being off? DPR mentioned (in their conclusion of the lens) a huge drawback is that the AF has to be Adjusted for focus (through the body) and the optical alignment is off.
06-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Photos: Albums
Posts: 492
@ledohung55

It strikes me that you're managing portraiture just fine with the 40mm. Maybe you have to get a bit closer in than you might otherwise want to, but the 40 is not a big, intimidating piece of glass.

I have just acquired the DA* 55mm. I've not done any serious shooting with it, just a couple of shots in my living room of things close up and far away. It looks pretty decent at F1.4 as far as I can tell. However, I do have an issue with it: it's kinda big for a prime. It's not too bad without the hood, but stick that enormous, bulbous, unnecessarily-large lens hood on the front and it suddenly becomes a rather aggressive looking thing that shouts "I AM TAKING A PHOTOGRAPH". I'm not altogether certain that I like it.

I will also point out that the 55mm is the slowest focusing lens that I own. Doesn't matter overmuch to me since I'm not planning on using it for continuous action shots. It may matter to you.

You have two highly prized lenses: the 21mm and the 40mm. Together they can handle most situations. I wouldn't trade them for a single lens, even if it does go up to F1.8 or F1.4. Have you tried using the 50-200 for initimate, head-and-shoulders style portraiture? I don't have that particular lens but I do have the 55-300 and it is excellent:

06-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
So you are between 3 lenses, but it sounds like you are leaning towards the 55, which is a great lens. To settle on your decision, I would just ask yourself why you aren't happy with the 40. If it is that you need to be really close to your subject to fill the frame as you want, then you probably should consider the 77 more. I would throw the 70 out of the mix because the 55 and the 77 are just superior lenses if you can swing the price.

If you like the focal length of the 40 and only wish it was a little tighter, but just want a bump in image quality, then happily buy the 55. Keep in mind you can always sell. You are selling two lenses to fund this purchase, but if you dislike the choice you make you can always sell it too. Plus, the 55 and the 77 seem to go pretty quick on the forum marketplace.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, fa, k-mount, ltd, pentax lens, people, portrait, quality, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acquisto pentax negli Stati Uniti e garanzia Internazionale Mitch Photographic Technique 3 12-07-2010 03:16 AM
Macro Premières photos avec mon K-7 YOYO31 Post Your Photos! 6 11-28-2010 05:35 AM
Split-image focussing screen BJ-61 for Pentax 67II phonoline Pentax Medium Format 4 09-24-2010 10:00 PM
k10d - can i adjust green-button-exposure measuring? teson Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 07-07-2010 08:39 AM
Sports Women's football - Santos FC Champions Cup Brazil 2009 Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo Post Your Photos! 1 12-02-2009 10:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top