Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
This is absolutely outstanding. I can't thank you enough imtheguy. Saved me a TON of cash and will be getting a far better product compared to other filters priced at the same level. No more question which ones I'm buying now! Even if the image quality is slightly less than the unknown filters, the ridiculous ability of these filters to repel dust, dirt, water, scratches, and fingerprints make them the only way to go for me. Thanks again!
You can also simply buy a Kenko CPL. This is just another brand name for the Hoya's (Hoya is the international name, Kenko the Japanese home market name). The Kenko's are usually a bit cheaper. The coating are also exactly the same as the HOya's.

Ben

11-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The Cokin CPL is utter crap. It is even worse, than the even cheaper Kood CPL (which fits the P-Holder). Any good quality old linear polarizer, which you may find cheaply in the junk box of a photo shop, will provide better colour rendition, than a Cokin filter.

Ben
This year I wanted to play with Cokin style filters so I built a big kit from a couple junk pile sales of used Cokin brand and some new cheapo copies to fill in some gaps. The used Cokin Polarizer I have I THOUGHT was Linear not Circular to begin with but seems to work fine in the few opportunities I have given it.

My question then, is your dislike of the Cokin referencing the screw-on filters, P-style, or both. Guess your mention of the Kood might mean thats what I have but no markings that I noticed. Anyway, just got the stuff to play, not serious yet but if I need to do some serious shots, is there a P-style polarizer you DO recommend? Otherwise I can always just use my Hoya screw-on with the Cokin filters for ND Grad attached.

THanks.
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

There are many version of Kenko & HOYA filters. Both Kenko MC I have (UV & CPL), their coating is even more difficult to clean than HOYA HMC which is a xxxxx to clean already. If I were to recommend a cheap CPL, HOYA HMC gets my vote. If one can afford more, I recommend B+W Kaesemann MRC. I have owned HOYA uncoated, HMC & HD. When shined with flashlight, they all display a layer of haze sandwiched between the glasses. The B+W I have is clear. Whether this have actual impact on image quality I have never tested though. But if one needed slim CPL with front thread, HOYA HD is still the best option. I just hate CPL w/o front thread so any B+W slim is out of the question.
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
You can also simply buy a Kenko CPL. This is just another brand name for the Hoya's (Hoya is the international name, Kenko the Japanese home market name). The Kenko's are usually a bit cheaper. The coating are also exactly the same as the HOya's.
Beware of places that offer cut-throat pricing, as this counterfeit Kenko thread demonstrates.

11-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

There are many scammers from HK, and I fell for one not long ago. At least maxsaver never let me down. After some research, I have found some ways being told to identify fake HOYA were not accurate at all (like checking the way the barcodes were printed). In fact, the genuine HOYA HD has a spelling mistake on the box.
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found a little more about the HOYA HD's:

Hoya HD Polarizers

And here is some good info on what coatings actually mean.

Hoya Filters

Of course all this info depends on how much you trust that guy, but good info nonetheless.
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Aside from what have bee said, HD coating is slightly less efficient than HMC SUPER which is claimed to be 99.7%. Pentax SMC is 99.8%, B+W MRC 99.3%, HMC 97% just for comparison.
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

I really don't want plastic or the holder system, seems like more trouble than it's worth.
It's the exact opposite. The Cokin system makes it tons easier:

1) If you go with a standard round filter, you buy the biggest one you need for all of your lenses, correct? But now, you need step-up rings for all but one of your lenses, the largest diameter.

2) And what about your lens hoods? So NOW, you need step-DOWN rings to attach your hoods.

3) And since your hoods are of various lengths for various focal lengths, you have to shlep different hoods for all of your lenses.

4) And let's not forget about ND and other filters, which people often stack, a REAL pain with screw-in filters.

5) The Cokin system, and the very capable and inexpensive eBay clones, require one holder and just different holder rings for your various filter diameters. You just swap out the holder ring based on the diameter of the lens you're using.

6) Hood modules easily clip on and off to extend or retract the length of the hood to match your lens's focal length.

7) And it's mega-easy to slide in ND and any other filters that you want to get into after it's on the lens.

Basically, we're talking about one very capable set-up that can handle any lens that you'll ever come across, and offers incredible lens protection because of their hood system.

I'm a BIG fan of it, but I mainly posted here to express my views that what you think is more cumbersome and difficult to work with is exactly the opposite.

Cokin-type systems are a pleasure, with a 40-year-history of successful photo work. Tiffen manufactures the same system, and I wouldn't dismiss their quality and ease of use all that lightly.

Last edited by Ira; 11-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.
11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Ira, I'll be more open to trying those in the future. I always figured I would accidentally break the plastic inserts on the Cokin ones, but I can see how they are easier.

wlachan, where did you find those numbers? From what I've seen the HD filters have a "99.35% transmission of visible light". Are we comparing the same thing or am I just confused?
11-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

Thanks for the info Ira, I'll be more open to trying those in the future. I always figured I would accidentally break the plastic inserts on the Cokin ones, but I can see how they are easier.

wlachan, where did you find those numbers? From what I've seen the HD filters have a "99.35% transmission of visible light". Are we comparing the same thing or am I just confused?
I had a few beers and edited like 5 times before you posted, so please read my complete post again!!!
11-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

99.35% (HD) is less than 99.7% (HMC SUPER), just as I said. I have both and I must say this won't be a determining factor because when it flares, even the best filters won't save it.
11-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh... My mistake. All these HMC, S-HMC, HD, DMC things are making me mix them all up lol. I really don't think that 0.35% transmissible light will make a visible difference compared to having the extra strength and ease of cleaning that the HD provides though, so I'll likely stick with those when I choose my filter.

Ira, I might have to try those out at a local store to see what I think, but I am a potential convert...
11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Just be aware that those Cokin rectangular filters are uncoated resin which is prone to scratch & flare. I used to have some and the only way cleaning them was to wash them. Cannot be wiped or rubbed at all. The round CPL was glass however, though it kept falling off from the rectangular mount. For scenery, the very long grad filters might be useful. Otherwise, I would just stick with conventional screw-on filters.
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Oh... My mistake. All these HMC, S-HMC, HD, DMC things are making me mix them all up lol. I really don't think that 0.35% transmissible light will make a visible difference compared to having the extra strength and ease of cleaning that the HD provides though, so I'll likely stick with those when I choose my filter.

Ira, I might have to try those out at a local store to see what I think, but I am a potential convert...
I started with the cheap eBay clones, so it was a no brainer. In addition, I bought an eBay clone of THIS holder which doesn't even require filter rings. You just screw it to the outside of the hard hood.

It's the 3rd item down, Universal Ring - P & X Series. For us, we need the P system filters, and this covers from about 18mm focal length (I think). Wider than that and you have to go to the ridiculously expensive Z system.

COKIN Accessories - Cokin System
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just be aware that those Cokin rectangular filters are uncoated resin which is prone to scratch & flare. I used to have some and the only way cleaning them was to wash them. Cannot be wiped or rubbed at all. The round CPL was glass however, though it kept falling off from the rectangular mount. For scenery, the very long grad filters might be useful. Otherwise, I would just stick with conventional screw-on filters.
The filters sit way behind the hood, which doesn't make them all that susceptible to flare at all. Plus, glass is just as susceptible to scratches as plastic--actually more so. And what do you mean by wiping or rubbing damaging them?

Finally, the round CP doesn't fall out of the mount at all, although it's a little awkward rotating them. And what do you mean by rectangular mount? The HOLDER?