Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The Cokin CPL is utter crap. It is even worse, than the even cheaper Kood CPL (which fits the P-Holder). Any good quality old linear polarizer, which you may find cheaply in the junk box of a photo shop, will provide better colour rendition, than a Cokin filter.

Ben
Wow:

Tough day, huh?

I utterly disagree.

11-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The filters sit way behind the hood, which doesn't make them all that susceptible to flare at all. Plus, glass is just as susceptible to scratches as plastic--actually more so. And what do you mean by wiping or rubbing damaging them?

Finally, the round CP doesn't fall out of the mount at all, although it's a little awkward rotating them. And what do you mean by rectangular mount? The HOLDER?
Yeah I mean the holder. Perhaps there are some magic ways of cleaning the resin filters. I can wipe any of my glass filters with cloth or lenspen w/o scratch. Just quite impossible with resin filters w/o end up with millions of scratches.
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lets not get into an argument over the filter types. I'll try one of the Cokins out at a local store, and if I like them cool, if not, at least they work for Ira.

I have never been one for filter stacking and often leave one filter to "live" on a lens for the majority of the time, unless the situation calls for me to take it off. This serves to protect the lens all the time, even when it's in the bag and the cap falls off or something like that, instead of just when I am using it. For this reason I am leaning towards regular screw in filters.

I think he means that rubbing the plastic filters can take the coatings off, as I have heard this as well, but I could be wrong.
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #34
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
and often leave one filter to "live" on a lens for the majority of the time,
But how many lenses do you have?

It gets more complicated when you have 7 different filter sizes, or even several lenses with the same size, like some of my Taks:

Several are 49mm, so I still have to swap out the CP as needed with each lens, because they're so expensive. I can't afford a separate one for each lens.

11-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have 3 lenses now and once I finish my current wishlist I will have a total of 5. $70 for a UV filter on each (only need a CPL for some) is worth the piece of mind to me.
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can see how it would be an issue with your massive collection though. I don't plan on mine getting that big as I prefer zooms over primes.
11-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I think he means that rubbing the plastic filters can take the coatings off, as I have heard this as well, but I could be wrong.
Actually they weren't coated at all. No idea if they are still the same though.
11-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
How about $111 for the Hoya HD 82mm CPL? I have ordered from maxsaver.net 5-6 times and never an issue. Quick response to emails. But it will take close to 10 days to get the order as they are in Asia. They mostly carry the higher end filters at about 1/2 cost of local online shops. Like I said, no problems so far.

Here is your Hoya 82mm HD CPL --> NEW HOYA 82mm HD Circular Polarizing Digital Filter | MaxSaver.Net (hvStar)
I also have used MaxSaver to buy B+W MRC UV filters. They are great and I have had no issues with them.

I’m not sure about the Hoya filters they sell, but the B+W ones are a special version made for the Asian market. These filters have the same glass as the B+W western version, but are made with a metal alloy instead of brass.

I have both versions and you can easily tell the difference. The western ones have the filter type listed on the inside next to the glass and the Asian ones are on the outside of the filter. The Asian ones are also lighter and both versions are made in Germany.

Phil.

11-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I treat filters like tripods or audio cables and get the best I can afford.
I have over 30 lenses and have dedicated UV filters for each one. I also have three main filter sets (52mm, 58mm & 77mm) comprising of Polarizer, Skylight and B&W contrast filters. (All but two of my lenses have either 52mm, 58mm & 77mm filter threads.)

I don’t use step up/down adapters or slim filters, as I also want to use the Pentax dedicated clip-on lens hoods. If I can find the old Pentax SMC filters I will buy them, otherwise I get B+W filters.

Phil.