Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Filters too expensive?

I'm noticing a lot of great reviews for the Hoya HD filters. Particularly the CPL filter. Only problem is, they are $250 for an 82mm thread!

I can't make up my mind what I want to do about this, because if I buy a $900 lens, I don't want to be shooting through a $20 filter since the IQ is only as good as the weakest thing in front of the sensor. Another pro to the HD filters is they are High Density, so they are hard as hell to break, plus they won't get fingerprints on them and shed water (great for a WR lens that you want a CPL on).

Still though, nearly $300 for a filter seems steep to me. Ideally I would like the Hoya S-HMC filters, but they have been discontinued for the 82mm thread.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

11-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never had issues with B+W filters.

Here's a 82mm CPL for $110:

B+W 82mm Circular Polarizer Filter 65-016931 B&H Photo Video

Here's another one that's sealed for extreme environments for $198:

B+W 82mm Kaeseman Circular Polarizing 66-016117 B&H Photo Video
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered a Coken filter system? I'm pretty sure they make one that large in the "P" series. The glass isn't as optically clean as a Hoya (besides, it's not glass, it's plastic), but if the only reason you want it is for protection, you can slide it in and out for use. Additionally, they make a bunch of other filters to fit the holder, which if you were buy in 82mm would bankrupt you.
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious to know which lens has an 82mm thread?

11-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma 10-20mm 1:3.5 HSM, Sigma 24-70mm 1:2.8 EX HSM. It's kinda funny actually, their 70-200mm has a smaller filter thread than those two...
11-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really don't want plastic or the holder system, seems like more trouble than it's worth. B+W I have heard good things about, but do they shed dust and fingerprints?
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

These guys seem to rate the relatively inexpensive Marumi cpl above Hoya:

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

11-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's interesting as compared to each companies UV filter results:
UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

I'll have to look into that in a bit more detail...
11-15-2010, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I'm noticing a lot of great reviews for the Hoya HD filters. Particularly the CPL filter. Only problem is, they are $250 for an 82mm thread!

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
How about $111 for the Hoya HD 82mm CPL? I have ordered from maxsaver.net 5-6 times and never an issue. Quick response to emails. But it will take close to 10 days to get the order as they are in Asia. They mostly carry the higher end filters at about 1/2 cost of local online shops. Like I said, no problems so far.

Here is your Hoya 82mm HD CPL --> NEW HOYA 82mm HD Circular Polarizing Digital Filter | MaxSaver.Net (hvStar)
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is absolutely outstanding. I can't thank you enough imtheguy. Saved me a TON of cash and will be getting a far better product compared to other filters priced at the same level. No more question which ones I'm buying now! Even if the image quality is slightly less than the unknown filters, the ridiculous ability of these filters to repel dust, dirt, water, scratches, and fingerprints make them the only way to go for me. Thanks again!
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
This is absolutely outstanding. I can't thank you enough imtheguy. Saved me a TON of cash and will be getting a far better product compared to other filters priced at the same level. No more question which ones I'm buying now! Even if the image quality is slightly less than the unknown filters, the ridiculous ability of these filters to repel dust, dirt, water, scratches, and fingerprints make them the only way to go for me. Thanks again!

You are welcome. If you have any questions for them, shoot an email to Yolanda <yolanda@hvstar.com> for a quick response....hopefully she is still there.
11-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I once asked (actually three times) why lenses were so cheap (compared to filters).
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I use B+W filters..either clear or UV. They are expensive but not $ 250 and many regard them as the top of the line filter.

I'm very satisfied with them and so far, they have not let me down.
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I have one more filter related question:

What are good filters for the 40mm ltd and other ltd lenses? I realize Hoya doesn't make the HD filters in 49mm thread (which is a shame considering they own Pentax and should know the LTD lenses are their best quality product, and therefore deserve the best filters).
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Have you considered a Coken filter system? I'm pretty sure they make one that large in the "P" series. The glass isn't as optically clean as a Hoya (besides, it's not glass, it's plastic), but if the only reason you want it is for protection, you can slide it in and out for use. Additionally, they make a bunch of other filters to fit the holder, which if you were buy in 82mm would bankrupt you.
The Cokin CPL is utter crap. It is even worse, than the even cheaper Kood CPL (which fits the P-Holder). Any good quality old linear polarizer, which you may find cheaply in the junk box of a photo shop, will provide better colour rendition, than a Cokin filter.

Ben