Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Just got a vivitar 70-210mm series 1, have a question about the mount.

So I thought these were M42 mount lenses but this one is K mount, is this better or worse? It starts with 22 so its the first model of the lens.

Does this one or the M42 version have any advantages? I returned the M42 I got because of fungus and it was a M42. Also this ones focus/zoom ring seems much looser, like it zooms a bit while I try to focus, I think this may be normal though.

Last edited by Lulerfly; 11-15-2010 at 12:40 PM.
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K mount lenses should be easier to use because you don't have to adapt the mount, and you can stop down in-camera instead of using the manual clutch.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah I see, so its better a bit. When I look into the lens I see a few little specks inside of it, they look like dust so it wont be much of a problem I suppose. I also have been sitting her trying to figure out this macro mode switch...not sure about it.
11-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To get in and out of macro mode, the focus/zoom ring must be pulled all the way towards the camera body and rotated so that the 2 locations where "macro" is written on the lens barrel and the focus ring line up. You should then be able to depress the button on the macro mode ring and rotate it.

11-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
I also have been sitting her trying to figure out this macro mode switch...not sure about it.
Found this online and it helped me figure it out when I got mine:

Press the small white button on the left and rotate the two wings.
To use the macro mode, pull the zoom ring to 210mm. Now squeeze the little white button on one of the two little wings that come off the lens, and rotate in the direction of the yellow arrow until the yellow "MACRO" is lines up with the red dot.
You focus in the macro mode by sliding the zoom ring forward and back. Closest focus is with the zoom ring at the 70mm position.

I must say it's strange to slide in order to focus the macro, but it becomes easier with practice.
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
I got it now, that was simple actually, guess I over thought it. Thanks.

The suns down now, I was gonna post a couple shots of the dust specs just to make sure they wont have any problem on my pictures, I will do so tomorrow morning, Honestly I usually would just take some shots and see for myself but I am still waiting on getting a Pentax camera and want to make sure its all good since these are from ebay sellers and I don't have a 30 day return policy or something like that.

Thanks so far though!
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Name:  End (1 of 1).jpg
Views: 337
Size:  135.3 KB

Thats the little piece of dust on the inside of the lens, it wont show up in photos right?

I cant seem to get a picture of the specks on the inside, but its about 6 tiny tiny clear crystal looking specks. What would this be? Would someone at B&H know if I ask? Would they charge me for looking at it .

Last edited by Lulerfly; 11-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.
11-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
Thats the little piece of dust on the inside of the lens, it wont show up in photos right?

I cant seem to get a picture of the specks on the inside, but its about 6 tiny tiny clear crystal looking specks. What would this be? Would someone at B&H know if I ask? Would they charge me for looking at it .
I'm sure the visible dust will make no difference whatsoever, and I reckon the same goes for the "invisible" dust. I've got loads of old lenses which have internal dust similar to what you've described, and they work just fine - but nevertheless I would urge you to take a few test shots and take a close look at the results.

I reckon you've got yourself a very nice lens there - they were very expensive in their day. Note that you won't always be getting the full SR that your camera's capable of, because you'll be inputting a "compromise" focal length value when the camera prompts you (unles you want to keep changing it when you change the zoom setting). Best compromise value is 100mm, which will give you about 1 stop SR (a halving of the shake-induced blur) at each end of the zoom range, rising to full-SR at 100mm.

Have fun with your new lens!
11-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I'm sure the visible dust will make no difference whatsoever, and I reckon the same goes for the "invisible" dust. I've got loads of old lenses which have internal dust similar to what you've described, and they work just fine - but nevertheless I would urge you to take a few test shots and take a close look at the results.

I reckon you've got yourself a very nice lens there - they were very expensive in their day. Note that you won't always be getting the full SR that your camera's capable of, because you'll be inputting a "compromise" focal length value when the camera prompts you (unles you want to keep changing it when you change the zoom setting). Best compromise value is 100mm, which will give you about 1 stop SR (a halving of the shake-induced blur) at each end of the zoom range, rising to full-SR at 100mm.

Have fun with your new lens!
Yeah I am gonna test it at a camera store if they let me, I will just act interested in a pentax, still waiting ona K-5 deal atm. I hope so...I am use to no sr though so any is great...