Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

So, just how weather-resistant are the "Limited" lens

Interested to know

My old K50mm f1.7 has always been bullet-proof, though never tested on WR electronic cameras

Post your opinions, success stories and horror stories here

11-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you soak it in water, it'll likely enter inside the lens, fog it up, and lead to other bad things!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
My old K50mm f1.7 has always been bullet-proof, though never tested on WR electronic cameras

Just because the camera is WR, doesn't mean that any lens you put on it will be.
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, they are not sold as WR, so no weather sealing is implied in the Limited series. The only WR/sealed Pentax lenses are the ones with WR (weather resistant) in the title (the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR), or any of the DA* series lenses (the DA* lenses are weather sealed, while the WR lenses are only sold as weather resistant - DA* lenses have better sealings that also protect against dust).

11-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The WR lenses can be hit by waves at the beach. An old metal lens can survive a MILD sprinkling, but that is a risk. Same goes for all lenses that aren't sealed... I would quickly hide my limited from any inclement weather!
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Limited lenses aren't WR, or even close. I have disassembled and repaired my all 3 FA Limited and they aren't sealed at all. Dust & girt accumulate underneath easily. I just tightened the focusing ring screws of my lightly used FA31 last week and the distance data tape had grit deposits on it already. Also, the chip on the tape is rather exposed and may not be pretty if soaked with water. The DA14 chip however, is completely sealed with epoxy so perhaps DA lenses are better protected in this regard. Personally, I would be cautious using them in sandy environments.
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Limited lenses aren't WR, or even close. I have disassembled and repaired my all 3 FA Limited and they aren't sealed at all. Dust & girt accumulate underneath easily. I just tightened the focusing ring screws of my lightly used FA31 last week and the distance data tape had grit deposits on it already. Also, the chip on the tape is rather exposed and may not be pretty if soaked with water. The DA14 chip however, is completely sealed with epoxy so perhaps DA lenses are better protected in this regard. Personally, I would be cautious using them in sandy environments.
BOOO!!!

I had the same question about how limited lenses react to weather. It would be nice if somebody could comment on the DA limited lenses though.

I really wish Pentax would come out with some small weather resistant lenses with good iq.

11-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is there a way to make them WR? I remember working on an old RC truck servo and you could dip the sensitive bits in epoxy, protecting them from water. Pretty sure this wouldn't apply here but just curious...
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The chip can be sealed with epoxy easily if you really want to, but the rest of the lens is still rather "exposed" so to speak.
11-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA15 WR anyone? That's some of Sydney harbour coming at me.
I'm glad had a filter on that day, generally I don't.
No harm done.

11-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
BOOO!!!

I had the same question about how limited lenses react to weather. It would be nice if somebody could comment on the DA limited lenses though.

I really wish Pentax would come out with some small weather resistant lenses with good iq.
The same applies to the DA limiteds, not sealed at all.