Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I have the older version which, as far as I know, is optically the same as the new one, the main differences being in the construction of the lens:

- the old lens seems built a bit more sturdily and I prefer its looks (YMMV);

- the old lens has a stupid chrome ring right in front of the front element, leading to some flare when the sun reflects on the chrome -- which happens quite rarely and is relatvely easy to overcome (by slightly tilting the camera, masking the chrome ring with tape or matte paint, etc.);

- the new lens is smaller and has a more compact lens shade;

- the new lens comes with a close-up lens (not terribly useful IMHO, as I prefer to use the better quality Raynox DCR-150).

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thanks so much, I think I want that lens!

11-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Very nice pics. You have the new model, or an older one? Was curious if there was a difference in IQ or are new and old the same? I love the look and build of the older metal models, but I actually would prefer a lighter lens if quality is equal.
Thanks! Those were from the older SL version.

Abbazz covered the differences very well!
11-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
- the old lens has a stupid chrome ring right in front of the front element, leading to some flare when the sun reflects on the chrome -- which happens quite rarely and is relatvely easy to overcome (by slightly tilting the camera, masking the chrome ring with tape or matte paint, etc.)...
Other options to deal with the chrome ring include attaching an empty black filter ring, a black step-up (or step-down) ring, a black reversing ring, or a screw-in lens hood (instead of the bayonet hood). I have used all of these on my various APO-Lanthars, to good effect.

As others have noted, the lens is superb.

Dan