Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Voigtlander 90mm lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Could someone share their experience with this lens? I know that it is not a fast lens, but I would like to know the following things:

1) How good is this lens for portraiture?

2) How good is this lens for macro?

3) Any feedback on bokeh?

Thanking you all in advance,
-iunknown

11-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here's some info that might be of help...
.... i'd bought one new recently... haven't had a chance to use it.... since it was discontinued, i just HAD to have one !!! i also have the 180mm voigt.... superb lens.....
dave m

Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO Lanthar SL Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Voigtlander Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 APO Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO Lanthar - Digital Camera Reviews & Photography Tips
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I was also trying to get the 180mm lens, but no luck. Even in EBAY, noone is selling it..
11-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 90mm Apo Lanthar will do all the above tasks quite admirably.

11-16-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My page on the lens.

It's great!
11-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am really confused on buying this lens. With a manual focus slow lens like this, I am concerned whether to spend $600 on this. Could someone please share their experiences with this lens?

-iunknown
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It's great!
Are you able to compare it, from personal experience, to the IQ of any of the Pentax Limiteds?

11-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

To what Limited do you want compare it?
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
To what Limited do you want compare it?
Well (assuming my questions are okay with the OP), I am interested in what I've assumed is the general excellent IQ of all Limiteds. From personal experience, I only know about the Pentax DA35mm Ltd., which has so addicted me in a couple of days to that level of quality it will be hard to settle for much less. I have been looking at the Voightlanders for some time hoping the 90mm and 125mm at least (since Pentax has no Limiteds above 77mm) come close to the Limiteds' IQ. I've also wondered what difference in IQ there might be between the new version of the Voightlander 90mm and older models, such as this one for sale on Ebay: Voigtlander APO LANTHAR 90mm f/3.5 SL for Pentax - eBay (item 400166856806 end time Nov-23-10 21:00:55 PST)
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Well (assuming my questions are okay with the OP), I am interested in what I've assumed is the general excellent IQ of all Limiteds. From personal experience, I only know about the Pentax DA35mm Ltd., which has so addicted me in a couple of days to that level of quality it will be hard to settle for much less. I have been looking at the Voightlanders for some time hoping the 90mm and 125mm at least (since Pentax has no Limiteds above 77mm) come close to the Limiteds' IQ. I've also wondered what difference in IQ there might be between the new version of the Voightlander 90mm and older models, such as this one for sale on Ebay: Voigtlander APO LANTHAR 90mm f/3.5 SL for Pentax - eBay (item 400166856806 end time Nov-23-10 21:00:55 PST)
The older model is great--$400 is a killer price for it too, especially since it's been discontinued. I like the look of the older one better myself too.

There's no closeup lens, but this lens focuses very close on its own, especially on a crop sensor.

A little slow for portraits on an APS-C sensor, in my opinion, but great for closeup. Beautiful colour, excellent contrast, and among the best bokeh you can get.

I'll try and find some pics from mine...

Last edited by farfisa; 11-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
11-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The older model is great--

I'll try and find some pics from mine...
Very nice pics. You have the new model, or an older one? Was curious if there was a difference in IQ or are new and old the same? I love the look and build of the older metal models, but I actually would prefer a lighter lens if quality is equal.
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would also like to know whether any difference in optical formula between old and the newer one (SL-I and SL-II). I am seeing that the old model is a little cheaper in EBAY, but the newer one comes with an additional close-up lens

-iunknown
11-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Are you able to compare it, from personal experience, to the IQ of any of the Pentax Limiteds?
I have both the Voigtländer lens and the 77 Ltd and I prefer using the 90/3.5, because it has far less aberrations (the Pentax lens is very prone to purple fringing and LCA) and offers a much closer MFD. I only kept the 77/1.8 for low light shooting but I haven't used it since I bought my KX .

Cheers!

Abbazz
11-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I have both the Voigtländer lens and the 77 Ltd and I prefer using the 90/3.5, because it has far less aberrations (the Pentax lens is very prone to purple fringing and LCA) and offers a much closer MFD. I only kept the 77/1.8 for low light shooting but I haven't used it since I bought my KX
Hi Abbazz, do you have the newer SLII model, or an older version of the Voightlander? I've been searching the internet high and low looking for a comparison but haven't found one yet. Thanks, Les
11-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi Abbazz, do you have the newer SLII model, or an older version of the Voightlander? I've been searching the internet high and low looking for a comparison but haven't found one yet. Thanks, Les
I have the older version which, as far as I know, is optically the same as the new one, the main differences being in the construction of the lens:

- the old lens seems built a bit more sturdily and I prefer its looks (YMMV);

- the old lens has a stupid chrome ring right in front of the front element, leading to some flare when the sun reflects on the chrome -- which happens quite rarely and is relatvely easy to overcome (by slightly tilting the camera, masking the chrome ring with tape or matte paint, etc.);

- the new lens is smaller and has a more compact lens shade;

- the new lens comes with a close-up lens (not terribly useful IMHO, as I prefer to use the better quality Raynox DCR-150).

Cheers!

Abbazz