Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Super Tak 85mm 1.8 question - need help

Hi. I have several M42 mount super taks I use for video on my Canon 5d with an adapter. All my super takumars (35mm f2, 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8, 200mm f4) have a pin on the bottom that effects the aperture ring. The adapter I use screws on and depresses the pin and the lenses work great on my 5d. However, the 85mm 1.8 I just received was advertised as "screw mount" but there is no pin on the bottom. Instead there is a flat, protruding piece of metal that slides back and forth to control the aperture ring like on my old Zeiss. The adapter can't depress this and therefore I can't use it on my 5d.

Can someone explain this to me. Is this not an M42? Or is this a different type of M42? Is there more than one "screw mount" type or was this not advertised properly?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

11-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the lens database there is no SuperTak 85/1.8. Now that database might not be the holy grail, but it's the only thing I can go on at the moment.
11-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean, however. Are you saying that you haven't heard of the 85mm 1.8 or that it's rare in any other mount than an M42?
11-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A picture of the mount would help to tell what you have exactly. If the threads on the lens screw into your adapter then you have an "M42" lens. All that really means is that the threads are metric 42mm. Are you sure it is a Takumar?

Takumars come in several flavors (check the lens database) but as noted the 85/1.8 was only available in the S-M-C version. (Super-Multi-Coated). That is assuming the lens database is correct.

My S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8 has the pin as you describe as well as the "flat metal piece". I believe this was used by the original film cameras to set the aperture when the lens is in auto mode. However, it is not used by any digital camera I am aware of.

Please post a picture or two of the lens, I'm curious as to what it is.

11-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the 85/1.8 in the lens database. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Auto-Takumar-85mm-F1.8.html

I also just noticed that the entry for the S-M-C 85/1.8 also contains notes about the Auto-Takumar version. Not sure if this is intentional or if the database should be corrected to add the Auto-tak as a separate entry. Moderator??

I don't own any Auto-Taks so I don't know if they have the pin or not.
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you describe a SMC or Super Multi Coated Takumar 85mm f1.8. It should have the new apperture connections needed for the later m42 cameras. Are you sure it says "super" on the lens?

For some lenses I've heard that they run a few lenses without SMC but the new pin or vice verse, but as there were no Super Takumar 85 f.18, how could that happen?
11-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here is a link to the 85/1.8 in the lens database. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Auto-Takumar-85mm-F1.8.html

I also just noticed that the entry for the S-M-C 85/1.8 also contains notes about the Auto-Takumar version. Not sure if this is intentional or if the database should be corrected to add the Auto-tak as a separate entry. Moderator??

I don't own any Auto-Taks so I don't know if they have the pin or not.
No pin on the Auto-Taks.

11-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For now, most of the takumars are merged under a single heading. It's much more organized as long all as the info is there as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
OP - Photo of the mount

Here's a picture.

Lens says Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.8/85.

Thanks everybody!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo 
11-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

OK, if it says Super Multi Coated, it is not a Super Takumar It's confusing, I know. And I guess your problem is the 'slider' at the right top.

I think you need a normal adaptor without the flange that activates the pin at the left. Next set the lens to manual and you have aperture control.

I will check my one tonight, not sure if it has the 'slider'.
11-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for clearing up the Super multi coated v. super tak.

Yes, it's the slider that is causing the issue.

Would my mount still be called an M42 since it has the slider? My other M42 Pentax don't have the slider.

I can't see how this lens can work on my 5d.

Last edited by minimauled; 11-16-2010 at 02:57 AM.
11-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is that an auto/manual switch top right hand corner of the pic, if so that can be used to activated the aperture.
11-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine is the same as yours. So get the adapter without the flange, set the lens to manual (as I stated earlier and confirmed by xjjohnno) and use the aperture ring to adjust the aperture.

Good luck

PS It's in the M42 section, so it's still a M42 mount.
11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The setup on my Auto Tak 85 1.8 is different--here is a shot:

11-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the slider etc that you see is for a spotmatic F or ES II that can perform open aperture metering. the slider engages a link in the camera to tell the meter what aperture the lens is set to.

this is only on very late M42 lenses , I believe mostly SMC Tak's