Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #1

Buying Lenses in Europe

I'm very close to hitting the button to order $1300 worth of glass from the US and have it shipped to Switzerland. DA15, DA35/2.4, and the pancake DA70.

For buying one lens at a time, the duty and shipping costs are just high enough to make ordering from the US not worthwhile. For three lenses, it seems that a US order is the way to go.

Before I place the order, is there any other route I should consider? The lowest cost retailers here in Switzerland don't stock these and can't seem to get them within 2 weeks... The in-stock guys have prices that make angels weep.

11-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been looking at a similar setup, although I'd be interested in the 21/35 2.8/70. There is a Canadian Pentax dealer on Ebay who sells this stuff at competitive prices, but if you look at "completed items", its entirely possible to get this kit in nearly new condition. If you buy from someone with a decent rating and pay through Paypal, you should be fine and able to get this lot for significantly less. The only thing is that you won't be able to get the lenses now...can you rent lenses?
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have no clue if anyone rents Pentax lenses here.

I ended up ordering the 70 and the 35 from local companies... The 35 was "in-stock" (supposedly -- we'll see) and the 70 arrived at another retailer even though I had placed the order 3 weeks ago without paying for it. So I went ahead and paid for both. We'll see what happens.

European retailers, both on-line and brick-and-mortar, are lousy in every respect. We need a B+H here. And a TireRack. And a buy.com, and.....
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Richard ... obviously the best way to go is find out if a friend or relative knows anyone in the US that travels to Europe on business, or is going there on holiday, so you can get away with the duty / transportation costs.

Good luck with your purchases.

11-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Its funny, because I always found with bicycle kit that it was miles cheaper in Southern Germany than here in the UK...I'd have thought the price competition would commute into Switzerland. Maybe its better to find a European brand of cameras closer to home....I bet Leica is cheaper in your part of the world than over in the US.