Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Variable ND Filter - Fader ND mark II

Anyone used this? - it's an adjustable neutral density filter offers a 2 to 8 stops added density. Density changes when filter is rotated (similar mechanism to a CPL filter).

Light Craft Workshop - Fader ND mark II

How it compares quality-wise with regular ND ilter from B+W or Hoya.

Thanks

11-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have it and only because it was available in 82mm. I've only used on real BW film work so I can't say about any true "neutrality" of the filter but probably is because it is most likely is two polarizes used to get variable density. And I think it is a little less than the advertised 8 stops. But with the latitude of film it is hard to say for sure.

I have also tried a 10-stop B+W ND filter and it was terrible for color. It was not very neutral at all. But the Hoya HMC NDX400 ( ~9-stop) filter proved to be much better in that department.

EDIT: And another word of caution with that Fader, at least on mine, is that the outer filter size is larger than your lenses filter size. So that means you need a new screw-on lens hood for it. So if your lens has a bayonet lens hood, it will not fit with the filter on. Mine came with its own lens cap.

Last edited by tuco; 11-16-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Add More Info
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one that I have only used a few times, but I have been very impressed with it. It is a little bit of trial and error to get the exposure you want with it sometimes.