Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aperture settings via lens on K-x

This may sound like a simple question, so I apologize beforehand. If I wanted to shoot in Av mode, but wanted to control the aperture using the aperture ring on my 70-300 mm telephoto, then what shooting mode should I select on the camera's mode dial? Should I select M (manual) mode, and then select the aperture setting on the lens? Or should I select Av mode, then select the aperture setting on the lens with the assumption it will override the ability to use the mode dial to select an aperture?

Just confused on the interplay between selecting Av settings on the lens itself as opposed to manually setting it via the Av setting on the dial. Also, I presume selecting aperture on the lens itself will still enable auto-focusing, or will I need to use manual focusing instead?

11-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I rarely shoot in Av mode but I think that in Av mode you can set the aperture via the ring on the lens itself while still maintaining AF.

I shoot 99% of the time in full manual and that mode for sure lets you set the aperture via the lens ring and still maintain AF. I like shooting in manual because I feel it forces you to learn how to control the picture instead of letting the camera do things for you.
11-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with pentax DSLRs you cannot shoot aperture priority (Av mode) with the aperture ring.

Taking the lens out of A will result in the camera treating it like a K/M lens wyhere manual exposure is all that is possible using the green button (two wheel cameras) or it's equivelent.

you would need to set the function "use ap[erture ring" in th ecustom menus, and in any mode other than M it will always shoot wide open.

yo need to eep the lens in A and use the thumbwheels for aperture control
11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to use the ring the you need to use M (and enable this trough Menu / C4 / 22 Use aperture ring -> Allowed). Also you'll need to press the green button (or +/-) to meter: this will briefly close the aperture, meter the light with that and set the exposure time to match.

With the aperture ring in position other than 'A' the Av mode will always use fully open aperture for exposure. (This is actually useful with M42 lenses.)

11-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to each of you for the prompt answers to my questions. Very much appreciate the assistance.
11-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can shoot in Av mode with old manual M42 lenses (set to M), turn the aperture ring, and the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed without having to hit the Green (or other) button.

Depending on the lens, you may have to set ev compensation though, which is why M is preferable. Most manual lenses underexpose in metering via Av, but not M.