Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #1

what lens is this please.

my wife's brother from a house clearance gave me a lens and a tele-converter, got all excited and praying it fit my Pentax K-X but unfortunately does not fit.

i have no idea how to tell what they will fit, i would sell on flebay and put to a lens that will fit.

hope someone can tell me what camera they fit and if possible what price would they be.

Sigma 24-135mm D f/2.8-4.5

it is here but it says sigma 24-135mm no D stamped like mine.

Sigma AF 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 ASPHERICAL IF Nikon Normal Zoom Lens / by Manufacturer / Lenses / Camera-Catalog.com

the tele-converter fits the above, what is written on the side is:

JESSOP DG 2X N/AF Tele-Converter Japan

looks like this,

any help or advice be appreciated.

11-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you can find out via the serial # but I am not 100% sure about that. If you can post a pic of the mount I'm sure someone can identify it.
11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the lens but since it fits the JESSOP DG 2X N/AF Tele-Converter, and the tele-converter is for a Nikon, my guess would be that the lens is a Nikon mount as well.

Yup, looks like a Nikon.

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just buy a Nikon to go with it!
It will be fun. But don't forget that cheap Nikons are not anymore compatible with this, you will have to get and really old one, or a D90.

OK, that was not a good idea. Just sell it in ebay.

11-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Just buy a Nikon to go with it!
It will be fun. But don't forget that cheap Nikons are not anymore compatible with this, you will have to get and really old one, or a D90.

OK, that was not a good idea. Just sell it in ebay.
I was going to interject but you already did that

Anyway it seems like an okay lens, so nothing worth switching to nikon for. If you want to try film camera maybe you can buy a nikon one though, and stick that lens on it. Otherwise just sell it on ebay.
11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
thankyou for the info i will upload the mount later on.
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
hope this helps, i took photos of lens with converter fitted, i also circled the D in question which i could not find another with that stamped as well on the web.

i'm more then happy with my Pentax and not interest in changing so if possible can i have info on mount it fit plus what should i roughly ask for on fleabay for both items.

11-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Looking at the "double" aperture ring it seems to be a Nikon.
11-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
so advertise as Nikon what price could i ask for please.
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #10

iceman -

Hey hey, as a Nikon guy this is definitely a Nikon AF mount. The converter also is a Nikon mount. The "D" on this lens is probably a copy of the Nikon "D" which means "Distance". The lens is chipped in a way that the lens tells the camera subject distance when focusing which improves metering response.

I don't know much about this lens specifically but I know Sigma zooms are great in number and the quality with these lenses can be all over the board but Sigma doesn't exactly have too many sleeper zooms like this. My guess is average to poor performance. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a Nikon for this one.

Price-wise, I have no idea.
11-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by justtorchit Quote
iceman -

Hey hey, as a Nikon guy this is definitely a Nikon AF mount. The converter also is a Nikon mount. The "D" on this lens is probably a copy of the Nikon "D" which means "Distance". The lens is chipped in a way that the lens tells the camera subject distance when focusing which improves metering response.

I don't know much about this lens specifically but I know Sigma zooms are great in number and the quality with these lenses can be all over the board but Sigma doesn't exactly have too many sleeper zooms like this. My guess is average to poor performance. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a Nikon for this one.

Price-wise, I have no idea.
very much appreciated for the fantastic info.

i have no intentions in moving to another camera as i'm still getting my head around the pentax lol.

i was hoping to sell the 2 and be able to put towards a good lens and converter mentioned in another thread for my rugby photo's
11-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The asking price for the Pentax version of that lens is around $200. I don't know if they are getting it. A few years ago, Cameta camera (on ebay) dumped a bunch of copies at $99 each. I don't know the reason for that and had actually ordered one. Never got it though as I changed the order to the Tamron 70-300 (which I just sold for about half what I paid for it). That's neither here nor there. I can say that the people buying the Sigma at the time, were quite happy with the photos they were getting. If I remember correctly, they suffered in large numbers from loss of the ability to Autofocus. Again, don't know why, as the AF is screw drive, perhaps a weak link in the lens broke. Zoom creep was also a problem that many had to endure with this lens. Optically however, it seemed a good performer on the 6-10 Mp cameras of the day. That's the Pentax mount versions. I know nothing of the history of the Nikon version.

I would start it at around $100 on ebay and let it go for whatever it sells for, but that's just me. Or if your BIL actually Paid for the lens, start it at whatever he paid.

11-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #13

Original Poster
thankyou JeffJS for piecing together the last piece of the puzzle, will take pics and auction it off.

many thanks everyone.
11-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If I were you I would be sure to auction these separately.