Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 15mm or Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6?

I'm looking at getting a wide angle lens, but can't make up my mind. I'm now looking at either the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 or the Pentax DA 15mm F4.

The Sigma is only $20 cheaper, but it has added usability to me being a zoom and even wider at 10mm. On the other hand, the Pentax might be a little sharper and will probably have a little warmer image.

I only see myself buying ONE ultra wide lens (especially at these prices), so I really need to make the right choice the first time.

SO, what would you get?

11-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want the 15 ltd, because of the size. It really comes down to that. If you like the look of 10mm shots, the sigma is a fantastic buy. 10mm is too wide for me, but some people love it. Not sure about the sigma's sharpness, the DA 15 is very sharp, but no sharper than the pentax 12-24 zoom. It's really about size.

Also, the DA 15 seems to reject flares in a way that no other lens I've seen does, but in the end, if you want wide angle bang for your buck, I don't think the DA 15 is the way to go. Depends on if you like the size factor. For me, I know that I would take a big zoom out far less frequently than a little prime.. but I'm a prime junkie apparently.
11-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I'm looking at getting a wide angle lens, but can't make up my mind. I'm now looking at either the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 or the Pentax DA 15mm F4.

The Sigma is only $20 cheaper, but it has added usability to me being a zoom and even wider at 10mm. On the other hand, the Pentax might be a little sharper and will probably have a little warmer image.

I only see myself buying ONE ultra wide lens (especially at these prices), so I really need to make the right choice the first time.

SO, what would you get?

This kind of question seems to be asked every day on the forum and I enjoy providing the exact same answer because after 30 years of helping people define what they wanted, I kind of feel like I know how to do it.

The old saying "If you don't know where you want to go, then any road will get you there" applies.

If you can define your requirements in a priority order it becomes easy to cut the eligible list of solutions down to one. There is so much already written about every lens and opinions on each. Remember, a lens is a SOLUTION to a problem or set of requirements. Define the problem first, look at the solution last, otherwise its just an impulse buy.

Forget what is $20 cheaper unless cost is high enough on the requirements list.

But, if you have no requirements other than the wish to buy an UW lens, you can still get whats best for you (not whats best for everybody else maybe) by borrowing or renting some for a few days each to test. Yes, that costs $60 a pop but its the price to get one you won't be selling in a few months, or worse, not using because you don't like it. If you are quite comfortable buying and selling used lenses, then you can go through all of them and maybe lose nothing in the process instead of renting.

What do you need? Thats the hard question, not "which one?"

btw- I am in a similar situation. Rented the DA15 last month and the DA12-24 arrives next week. Then after comparing results to my da16-45 I can decide what I want for xmas ! Wishing you luck whether you just feed the LBA and buy "the shiny" one or spend the time and work to define what you actually need.
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

I am (was) in the same boat - just returned the 10-20 today after ~3 weeks of trying it. I am not sure if it was a good copy (probably) but the IQ was not what I expected. It is a big lens and I don't think it would come with me very frequently. I have the Sigma 17-70 and I think the 17mm may be OK for now. I have also thought about the Tamron 10-24 which may have a little better use but I am not sure the IQ will be any better. I would love to try the 15mm - size and IQ would be great - but are the extra 2 mm worth $500 for me? A tough question. UWA lenses are more specialty lenses and probably not for everyone.
On an unrelated note, as the 10-20 is going the DA-L 35 is coming!

11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
I am (was) in the same boat - just returned the 10-20 today after ~3 weeks of trying it. I am not sure if it was a good copy (probably) but the IQ was not what I expected. It is a big lens and I don't think it would come with me very frequently. I have the Sigma 17-70 and I think the 17mm may be OK for now. I have also thought about the Tamron 10-24 which may have a little better use but I am not sure the IQ will be any better. I would love to try the 15mm - size and IQ would be great - but are the extra 2 mm worth $500 for me? A tough question. UWA lenses are more specialty lenses and probably not for everyone.
On an unrelated note, as the 10-20 is going the DA-L 35 is coming!
Good point. If its a big, heavy lens it probably does not make the trip in your pocket for that walk downtown. The da15 is of course perfect for that. I may be able to help with your da15 vs 17-70. It depends on your requirements though. I have comparison shots I made with the da15 against the da16-45@16mm. To make it harder to bias myself, i cropped some da15 shots to exactly match the same scene at 16mm. At normal viewing size on the monitor, they look so close I would just keep on with the zoom. But check the detail at 75% and suddenly the da15 pulls way ahead. If your shots are to display on screen, the 16-45 looks fine. If you plan to print 13x19 as I do, the da15 will lure you in. Second, the da15 has little visable distortion unlike the 16-45 which is not bad, and is easy to fix, but its there. My K-5 can do the distortion correction for me so less incentive for the da15. if you are shooting a k20d though the da15 will save you time.

I'm guessing what you said about the 10-20 (too large) will be true about the pentax 12-24 I rented for next week and I won't need much time to know if the da15 then wins because it will get used a lot more.
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I'm guessing what you said about the 10-20 (too large) will be true about the pentax 12-24 I rented for next week and I won't need much time to know if the da15 then wins because it will get used a lot more.
Oh god i would love to see some comparisons or thoughts from you on this one, I'm currently debating the DA15 and 12-24 choice myself. I would like to see what you think, please let me know during and after Lee....
11-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Oh god i would love to see some comparisons or thoughts from you on this one, I'm currently debating the DA15 and 12-24 choice myself. I would like to see what you think, please let me know during and after Lee....
By debating, does that mean (sorry, here I go again) you know what you need from an UW or are you are just deciding which one to treat yourself to? I will be happy to list how the three scored against MY requirements if that helps. da15 and da16-45 are done, the 12-24 is mine from 11/23-11/29 so I will PM you after that.

11-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you could post your thoughts here, or in a new thread, that would greatly help. Although I'm not sure I could swing getting the 12-24.
11-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the similar threads block at the bottom of the page turned up another thread just like this one. It has 54 replies: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/108740-big-dil...a-10-20mm.html
11-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would of course love to see comparisons between the wide zooms discussed and the DA 15 but this really comes down wide angle zoom versatility vs compact size. Both are going to take excellent pictures and for me the compact size wins by a lengthy margin. Maybe next summer I'll be able to get the DA 15mm (or a 21mm - undecided...).
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
If you could post your thoughts here, or in a new thread, that would greatly help.
Will do.
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Colorado CJ - We have a winner!!

Played with the DA12-24 for a week and picked up a DA18-135 WR to keep it company but thats another story. Although the IQ of the DA12-24 was wonderful all around, I did no pixel peeping as it is just too large to carry around in my pocket like I did with the DA15. Since I do not specifically NEED 12-14mm, I will go with the DA15 LTD which will ensure I have a wide lens with me as its light and small enough there is no excuse to NOT carry it. This arrangement allows me to walk outdoors w/o a pack and with a long lens mounted and a wide lens in my pocket that requires no distortion correction (unlike the da16-45 at 16mm). For somebody who has a need for wider than 15mm they need a different solution. I just prefer to change my approach to the wide shot knowing the da15 is so small that I can always have it with me.
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

if 15mm isn't wide enough for you, get the sigma

otherwise, get the Pentax.
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is my thought as well, you just can't beat the size of the DA15.

I'll be ordering the DA15, but it will have to wait for a little while, I just bought a DA 40 Limited and a Sigma 70-300 APO so funds are a little short.

Can't wait to get the DA 15 though, it will go great with my new DA 40!
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
if 15mm isn't wide enough for you, get the sigma

otherwise, get the Pentax.
My point was that the ability to always have high quality 15mm is more important to me than 12mm, or 10 or 8....in a bag in the car. Size matters.