Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hyperfocal Distance Correction Sticker?

I love Takumars. My question is, theoretically is it posible to print out a hyperfocal distance "sticker" that you place over the "on lens chart" that would correct for the digital crop factor? And it would make the process of determining hyperfocal distance just the same as if you were using a full frame / 35mm camera?

As in, it would look like the original:

16 11 8 4 | 4 8 11 16

But be stretched out or squished (not sure off the top of my head) and it would probably depend on the focus throw as well as the diameter of the lens barrel and lots of other things, and yea I am sure there is a bunch of crazy math involved... but is it THEORETICALLY possible? Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Outsight Photography - Focus Pocus: Depth of Field Calculators
Online Depth of Field Calculator

11-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is the "depth-of-field scale"; hyper-focal distance is a related but more specific concept. The crop-sensor scale would be narrower. Many folks simply multiply f/# shown on the existing scale by crop-factor to get the aperture setting for the lens. For example if desired distances are between the f/8 markings on the lens, the lens needs to be set at f/16 when on crop-camera.
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
That is the "depth-of-field scale"; hyper-focal distance is a related but more specific concept. The crop-sensor scale would be narrower. Many folks simply multiply f/# shown on the existing scale by crop-factor to get the aperture setting for the lens. For example if desired distances are between the f/8 markings on the lens, the lens needs to be set at f/16 when on crop-camera.
I think it is the other way? There is more in focus as you approach smaller P&S sensor size for a given aperture, so the scale should expand to cover more distance on lens barrel. After all, the FF people like the shallow DOF, among other things.
11-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
How can sensor size (as the only variable) affect DOF? The lens has the same registration distance and properties as on a FF camera, you're just not recording the full size of the image. DOF/etc will be different only from an equivalent FF lens; IE a 200mm on crop will have a different DOF than a 300 on a FF, though the resulting image would frame the same stuff.

11-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Different Coc for FF and crop. Try the dof calculator. Crop camera 55mm lens @f/16 has half the DOF of FF 55mm lens @f/16. The difference is Coc which changes from 0.019 for crop to 0.03 for FF.
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Right-O, I'll take you word for it. I wonder what those FFer's are talking about :-)
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sort of flies in the face of the common wisdom that smaller sensors have more DOF, enit?

With identical framing, crop-camera DOF increases because the subject distance is increased.

However, with identical distance, crop camera DOF decreases because subject is magnified, larger...

11-17-2010, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigjonnee Quote
... As in, it would look like the original:

16 11 8 4 | 4 8 11 16

But be stretched out or squished (not sure off the top of my head) ...
Squished rather:

Stolen from: Depth of Field, Digital Photography and Crop Sensor Cameras - Bob Atkins Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by bigjonnee Quote
... and it would probably depend on the focus throw as well as the diameter of the lens barrel and lots of other things, and yea I am sure there is a bunch of crazy math involved. ...
No sir, afaik you can put that sticker on your small format (a.k.a. 'full-format') lens and it'll work like a charm .-) As the previous posters have suggested, you are dealing with a factor equating the so-called crop factor of around 1.5 and in the a.-m. article it is stated that you are dealing with a 1+1/3 stop difference.

I would suggest upping that factor to about 1.7 - 2.0 because of cropping: Today's sensors' pics are croppable to some extent and you will see the DOF limits in a given hyperfocal bracket much quicker.

Last suggestion: Check carefully the real inf. mark on your manual lens / camera combo. If it is off the center line you can at least correct for it by applying that sticker off the line, too.
12-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all, but thanks especially to georgweb, who answered my question instead of throwing out technical info and or pointing out the shortfalls in my lingo and understanding