Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 10-24mm

Hello, somewhat new to the forums.
Looking at a new super wide angle lens for my K-X.
I really like the Sigma 10mm-20mm, but it is a little pricy $500+
I came across the Tamron 10mm-24mm on B&H and they have them for $489 -$100 manufacturers rebate so $389 total, thats a really good price. I know they have been compared on the lens reviews, but when it really comes down to it, should i wait till i can put a few more pennies together and go Sigma or just get the Tamron now? Are they both on a pretty even playing field? i know that they have both gotten fairly good reviews, but what about head to head?

11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

first You need to learn how to use wide ones, any angle give a lot perspective, distortions at edges are normal, and composition of wide angle shots are thing to learn separate of other focus distances, when You learn all that sigma or tamron small are diferences.
I use tamron, at first I was disaponted, when i learned hot to compose and using flash indoor with tamy I'm now realy satisfied with him like tool for some real estate, some wide close ups, some landscapes etc.
11-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

I have the Tamron 10-24mm and it is my favorite lens. At first I was a little concerned that it felt too light or was made out of plastic but it has been very durable and has help me compose great landscapes.
I will say that like most wide angle lens there is some chromatic aberration in some situations but ACR can compensate in post processing.

This is my only Tamron lens. When it isn't on my camera I tend to have Sigma. One reason I went with it was to try and save from buying another polarizing filter. It's 72mm thread matches my Sigma 70-200mm.

Keep an eye on that lens hood if you do decide to go with it. It is a bit awkward to fit in a bag and I lost mine already.
11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very cool, thanks for the advice. I am also looking at getting the Tamron 28-80 and 70-300 (package deal, both for $210) Those threads are 62 and 58 lol. So im going to have all different sizes... bummer.